No announcement yet.

what's the best noise gate for a 5150?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what's the best noise gate for a 5150?

what's the most effective gate out there (pedal) that I can run in the loop that won't kill my sound?
    I've never used one before so I've been reading write ups on
    Rocktron Hush -C (rack)
    Mxr smart gate
    ISP Decimator
    I have a noise gate in my Boss ME50 but it doesn't really do shit, plus I'd rather run the ME 50 in front and not thru the loop
    If this is our perdition, will you walk with me?

Re: what\'s the best noise gate for a 5150?

I have had many of the Hush units and never found them too amazing. Mostly cuz they are digital I think.

I've heard one of the best sounding analog units, is the old rocktron "Guitar Silencer"

Comment

I've heard nothing but good things about the ISP Decimator pedal. And supposedly the rack unit is even better.

Comment

well going off of reviews I've read , I just grabbed one of of Ebay. I'll run it thru the loop to kill the 5150 lead channel noise. I can run the boss noise gate in front o kill feedback or get another decimator and run it in front.
        the rack mount version lets you do bothat the same time but is over $400.00 so this will have to do.
        I'll give a review once I get it.
        thanks

Comment

I'll second the Decimator. I use a BOSS NS-2 myself, but my amp tech swears by his Decimator and I respect his opinions.
          "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

ISP Decimator pedal bar none. Very VERY impressive. I have the rack version and my friend has the pedal version. We were messing around with his SSH equipped Suhr through his MKIIC+ and it did GREAT cutting out the single coil hum whenever they were engaged WITHOUT effecting tone or sustain.
            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFn-5BTQ8uU

Comment

I use my NS-2 and have never had a problem with noise.

Comment

i have the decimator pedal and the prorack g - both are very good.
                I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

I've got the Boss NS2 and the MXR Smart Gate... both work very well, but I seem to prefer the MXR.
                  I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

NS-2 + 4 cable method = No feedback

Comment

HONESTLY...A G major..never heard a better hush unit EVER..and the Uber with the Gain Maxed is much noiser than any of my 5150s.
                      "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                      Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

ISP Decimator - works real well for the money. If I had the cash, I'd get the rack version.

Comment

The off switch with a 5150. That was THE noisiest amp I ever owned .

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                            The off switch with a 5150. That was THE noisiest amp I ever owned .

[/ QUOTE ]
                            Mine was too, before I swapped out those crap chineese tubes and put in JJ's.
                            Now it's not anywhere near as bad as it was, just on the
                            lead channel, if I turn the gain up past 6 and the volume past 3 , I ge that backgound hiss, that I can live without.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                              HONESTLY...A G major..never heard a better hush unit EVER..and the Uber with the Gain Maxed is much noiser than any of my 5150s.

[/ QUOTE ]
                              I thought about this too Bill, but the G-major is just overkill for what I'm doing (which isn't much at the moment)
                              If I ever get back into a band I will probably pick one of these up and just be done with it, effects wise.

Comment

Working...
                              X