7-pin vs. 8-pin EL34 tube?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 7-pin vs. 8-pin EL34 tube?

Just got my THD Univalve amp today. It came with what the seller says is an EL34 power tube, but it's not indicated... only has a sticker that says 1a 44ma, and it's an 8-pin tube. I've also got a new pair of Groove Tubes laying around that are EL34R and are 7-pin. The GT is a little thinner bottle than the 8-pin one. Both work in the amp and sound fine. What's the actual deal with the pins?
    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Re: 7-pin vs. 8-pin EL34 tube?

[ QUOTE ]
    Just got my THD Univalve amp today. It came with what the seller says is an EL34 power tube, but it's not indicated... only has a sticker that says 1a 44ma, and it's an 8-pin tube. I've also got a new pair of Groove Tubes laying around that are EL34R and are 7-pin. The GT is a little thinner bottle than the 8-pin one. Both work in the amp and sound fine. What's the actual deal with the pins?

[/ QUOTE ]

Joe, don't forget about the full review. I am very interested.

Comment

Well, I've only messed with it for a little while. Damn, does it get loud, even with the attenuator on full!!! [img]/images/graemlins/eek.gif[/img] The built-in noise reduction is also very cool, a nice touch, and the sound of this amp is really amazing, puts out some great clean tones, very Marshally-sounding, bright and very articulate. I had it cranked for a minute and got some very nice overdrive out of it, but it will definitely need to be used with a boost pedal for more gain while playing at home (that's the only real downside to an amp without a master volume, as we all know) so my neighbors don't call the cops! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] I can't wait to take this thing over to my cousin's so I can crank it some more while he's playing drums. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Heh, in a genious moment, I decided to run the line out from the amp into my Carvin power amp and use the power amp's volume to control everything. This way I can now crank the amp and get that great power tube distortion at lower volume! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] It's great for older thrash metal like Metallica, Megadeth, Slayer. Still needs a boost for getting into modern higher gain territory, though. Overall, I'm digging this amp so far. Time to go play some more. [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
        X