Atomic Reactor?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Atomic Reactor?

Any experience with these things? How is $499 with a POD 2.0 for a price? Thanks
    1+2 = McGuirk, 2+4 = She's hot, 6-4 = Happy McGuirk

Re: Atomic Reactor?

You know... I hear a lot of mixed information about the atomic amp. If I was in your shoes, I would trip on over to www.instituteofnoise.com and do a search for atomic in the pod forum. There is just a ton of information about the atomic amp over there.

-Nate

-Nate
    Insert annoying equipment list here....

Comment

I've read a review about these thingys in a german guitar magazine, and those guys where more than impressed!!
      they wrote it would be the best for V-Amp POD etc.

it doesn't have much to do with a guitar amplifier IMO, since it's more full ranged like a headphone for example...

didn't try them myself, but I heard a lot of good things so far!!
      please write a review if you decide to give it a try!! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
      tremstick give-away (performer series trem)

Comment

It seems that many owners wind up selling them soon after they buy one. It seems to gimmicky of a product to me.

Comment

I had an atomic for a while. I didn't care for it. I get much better performance by running my xt into a mackie srm450. It had tons of headroom and volume. To my ears it great at low and high volumes. For me this is usually not the case with moddelers.

I got mine used fro $440.00 to my door. I lay it down on the floor like a wedge monitor. The funny thing, is I am loving some amp models I hated before, like the Silver Jubilee JCM one. I have found it faster dialing in tones I like as well.

The Atomic was never that loud and I had a hard time getting a tone I liked from it. YMMV There are great players that love them.
          "Yes,..that's when they used to shove a red hot spike in your peehole until you screamed "yes, yes, godammit ..you fuggin' dicks..I'm a witch..I am witch..you cocksuckers"" horns666

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
            It seems that many owners wind up selling them soon after they buy one. It seems to gimmicky of a product to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's a pretty telling statement right there.

Comment

i'd like to see them make 300 watt head version. or a 100 tube head version.

that would be cool.
              Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That's a pretty telling statement right there.

[/ QUOTE ]

There is a good size group of use Atomic owners that have no desire to sell.

I love mine. I have not taken my Vetta head/cab to a gig since I got it. It is perfect for bar gigs and playing at home. One weakness is you can't get a squeaky clean loud tone. The power tubes overdrive a bit if you crank it.

I use my with a POD XT and I'm amazed at how good it sounds. 18 watts was much louder than I thought it would be.

Comment

oh yeah 18 watts can be quite loud. my mark 3 simul is 15 watts in class a and it's plenty loud. i read somewhere 5 watts is roughly equivalent to a blast on a trumpet.
                  so how is 499 with the POD 2.0 included? it get the idea people sometimes are not hip to the 2.0 and prefer the XT or original POD.

Comment

Not a bad deal. Cheaper than buying them sperate. You can try it out with the 2.0. Later you could always sell the 2.0 and get the XT down the line.

Comment

Cool, My only experience with modeling was my Vampire. I could never get it the way I liked. Moving overseas so I've got to scale down.

Comment

for direct recording i still haven't gotten as good of a metal guitar tone with the xt like i have with the 2.0
                        Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

After going thru just about every modeling amp on the planet, I finally picked one of these up.

My modeling amp search is over.

This thing is awesome and makes my PODxt sound like a guitar amp instead of a preamp thru the PA. You really have to tweak the patches to fit the amp, though. I was frustrated with it at first, as all of my PODxt patches sounded "boomy" or harsh. Then I stumbled across some bundles of patches that were tweaked for use with the Atomic Reactor. Instant joy!

Reducing the Microphone Room mix in the AIR II settings makes a huge difference. I mean down to 0-5%. Also, I think that using the stompboxes and compressors really opens things up.

The amp really gets a good bit of thump out of the low end since it is a closed back cab. One caveat, though: It is very directional. You need to have it pointing at you on an angle to really get a good sound out of it.

Overall, I am extremely happy with it now that I have patches that are tweaked for it. For low-medium volume venues I don't think this can be beat; if you need the versatility of a modeling amp, that is.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                            After going thru just about every modeling amp on the planet, I finally picked one of these up.

My modeling amp search is over.

This thing is awesome and makes my PODxt sound like a guitar amp instead of a preamp thru the PA. You really have to tweak the patches to fit the amp, though. I was frustrated with it at first, as all of my PODxt patches sounded "boomy" or harsh. Then I stumbled across some bundles of patches that were tweaked for use with the Atomic Reactor. Instant joy!

Reducing the Microphone Room mix in the AIR II settings makes a huge difference. I mean down to 0-5%. Also, I think that using the stompboxes and compressors really opens things up.

The amp really gets a good bit of thump out of the low end since it is a closed back cab. One caveat, though: It is very directional. You need to have it pointing at you on an angle to really get a good sound out of it.

Overall, I am extremely happy with it now that I have patches that are tweaked for it. For low-medium volume venues I don't think this can be beat; if you need the versatility of a modeling amp, that is.

[/ QUOTE ]
                            +1

welcome aboard !!

I'm still amazed at how good this little thing sounds.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                              for direct recording i still haven't gotten as good of a metal guitar tone with the xt like i have with the 2.0

[/ QUOTE ]
                              EXACTLY my problem! I sold my old trusty 2.0 and got a XT when it first came out, without trying it...which after a couple of days tweaking I soon came to regret, because they changed some stuff with the mic'ing simulation so that even my old patches sounded different through the XT even though they were un-edited!!
                              So I took back the XT and had to buy a brand new 2.0 instead [img]/images/graemlins/bs.gif[/img]

can't believe how Line6 could go backwards on the metal tones on the XT... sheesh!

Comment

Working...
                              X