more pod issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• more pod issues

I have a question about getting the best tone possible out of my pod 2.0. I traded my flextone II hd head for the 2.0 thinking I could dial in the same tones. Currently, my rig consists of the pod--powerblock--custom made 2x12 cab w/sheffield speakers. The guitar I am playing is an import kelly with stock everything.

My rig when I was playing the flextone II head was Flextone---same 2x12 cab. I was playing a USA RR-1 w/ a bill lawrence XL 500 pu in the bridge and the tone killed! It was the most crushing tone I have ever heard.

I sold both the flextone and the rr. I noticed that, my tone is not as crushing as it used to be. I am pretty sure I have everything dialed in the same on my 2.0 as it was on the flextone, so I am wondering if maybe either the pod needs to be tweaked, or it could possibly be the guitar switch that would cause this problem. Currently, my tone is severly lacking output, treble, and even a little mids. The low end is pretty well taken care of. I am thinking about putting a Dimarzio X2N in the bridge of the kelly if that will help..

I can not afford to go out and buy a xt live or whatever it is called. I am stuck with the pod, and I would like to make the best use of it possible. I would think that the flextone II hd head would produce similar tones to the pod 2.0?
    Light intervened, annihliating darkness.
    The path of salvation made clear for the prodigal human race

Re: more pod issues

[ QUOTE ]
    I was playing the flextone II head was Flextone---same 2x12 cab. I was playing a USA RR-1 w/ a bill lawrence XL 500 pu in the bridge and the tone killed!

It was the most crushing tone I have ever heard.

[/ QUOTE ]

So of course, you sold it. Hehe... [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

Comment

ya.. turns out it costs a lot to exist nowadays. pretty much every nice piece of gear I have had is gone.
      Light intervened, annihliating darkness.
      The path of salvation made clear for the prodigal human race

Comment

I've had very good luck getting a good live tone out of my POD 2.0. You should be able to get a great sound out of your setup.

My set up is guitar (all have Seymour Duncan Customs in the bridge), into a Ibanez Tube Screamer, then into the POD. The TS is set where all the knobs are at 12 o'clock. Then, it's into a Marshall Valvestate 8004 power amp, into a custom made 2x10 cabinet with Eminence speakers. The POD's output is set to Direct mode, NOT Amp. The amp output sounds too sizzly and thin. Very solid state sounding.

From what you've described, I am willing to bet it's the pickups in the import Kelly. That and make sure the output is set to Direct. I had a Kelly PS6T a few years ago and the pickups were pretty weak. Like any amp or pre-amp the POD responds well to a good hot pickup.

Comment

you have several issues here.

different guitars = different tone
          different pickups = different tone
          different power amp = different tone
          direct to powered speakers = different tone than power amp/cab

i'd start by getting a BL xl500 back in the bridge of the new guitar. since that is the one of the most important links in the tone chain.
          Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

I agree with Reb. Almost your entire set up is different. I wouldn't expect you would get the same tone either.
            The power amp makes a huge difference. I believe the HD II had a 300w (150 per side)power section and was specially built for the "POD 2.0" that was incorpated in it.
            Also, the pickups make a big difference.

Comment

Although you really changed everything about your setup, I would definitely start with a pickup change. You liked the Bill Lawrence so that would be a good choice. The X2N you mention would certainly add to the brutality of your axe as well.

Comment

The first and cheapest thing you need to work on is those pickups... get them out of there, then dial in your tone. Ive got two stock import Kellys here with the no-name "Jackson" logoed pickups, and they are J-U-N-K.
                Imagine, being able to be magically whisked away to... Delaware. Hi... Im in... Delaware...

Comment

Gold moon, I have one black BL L500XL left. PM me if you're interested.
                  "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Working...
                  X