Great lead sounds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Great lead sounds

Hey guys. Last night at band practice I made a point of getting the best lead sound i could from my JCM900. It sounds great for chugging riffs and big open chords. But for lead tones, i think it sounds a bit too thin and weak. I'm using a Ibanez SZ320 stock with a THD hotplate.

My question is, is there a pedal out there that will help achieve a better lead tone? I have a Boss SD-1 that I use to use for making the rhythm sound tighter but it went wierd on me and didn't work (untill I found out it does actually work last night). Would the SD-1 make my lead sound thicker but still make notes scream? or is there another way?

Please do not say "buy a new amp" because right now I don't really have the money as i'm buying a new guitar (though i would love a Mark IV)
    93 USA Soloist EDS
    USA HT6 Juggernaut
    Charvel DK24FR

Re: Great lead sounds

did you try an EQ pedal in the loop?
    another common way of achieving a lead boost is using a tube screamer in front of the amp, level maxed, tone to taste, gain almost off. IIRC the TS has more of a midrange "honk" than the SD1, which is desirable for leads.

Comment

i would also switch out the pickup in that guitar, i dont think they have the best pickups and you can get a hotter pickup that will make that amp scream and thicken it up. Try a dimarzio X2N

Comment

Tube Screamer.
        I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
          Tube Screamer.

[/ QUOTE ]

+ infinity TS9.
          You took too much, man. Too much. Too much.

Comment

Yep... TS9 or the Maxon version OD9--I have both.
            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFn-5BTQ8uU

Comment

turn your presence down. and once your in a band setting you won't miss them.
              Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

sd1 is close to a tubescreamer try it as a boost and see if its close to what you are after if it is then check out the analogman tubescreamers.

Comment

Tube Screamer is a great choice, as is an MXR Microamp or Zakk Wylde OD, Z Vex Super Hard On, Keely Time Machine Boost, or Boss Blues Driver (there are many others as well). The key is to boost and fatten the signal, so you want to lay back on the gain or you can easily kill your tone.

Comment

Changing the bridge pickup will also help a lot.

Comment

Loud does not equal good, nor does more gain equal good tone. What you need is something to SHAPE your tone, like an EQ. A better pickup doesn't hurt, but it will definitely affect your overall tone (cleans, rhythms, and leads). If you're happy with the pickup's clean and rhythm tones, you need an EQ for the leads that you can turn on and off. If you swap the pickup, you'll have to readjust your amp all over again, and probably still won't be happy with the lead tone.
                      I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Working...
                      X