EMG PA-2 or Jackson Je-1000

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EMG PA-2 or Jackson Je-1000

Do you have experience with both this preamps? If someone tested both of them, which would you recommend?

I have EMG 85 in the bridge, and would like a little more distortion, so I'll install one of those. I've read PA-2 really helps EMG's to come alive. What are your impressions?

Thanx [img]/images/graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img]

Re: EMG PA-2 or Jackson Je-1000

I've used both... I currently use the EMG PA-2 as it is superior in sonic quality. Better freq range, quieter, and uses less battery. Very transparent.

The JE-1000 is cool though, and i think has a quite unique sound to it, I just don't use them. Many people prefer them though.

Not sure it will give you more distortion though... Unless you're using a tube amp that you can overdrive the input. In that situation, they can do amazingly cool things.

Comment

Thanks. I was thinking about getting PA-2 cuz I'll have hard time finding Je-1000.

I'm using ss Marshall at the moment, but sometimes I plug in tube amps. Its good to have more choices. But my signal will be stronger, and it will be easier to play.

Comment

I'd say go with the PA-2. I've played both. PA2 Sounds better to me as well. JE-1000 is cool, but a little harsh and a little top-endy for me.

Comment

does the JE run with EMGs at all?
          I know the EMG would, but I'm not really sure about the jackson unit... [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
          tremstick give-away (performer series trem)

Comment

Why not, it has separate battery...it gets signal from pickup, I think it works with every pickup.

Comment

I have both and like them both. The PA-2 can be purchased almost anywhere.

joe...
              www.godwentpunk.com
              www.myspace.com/godwentpunk

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                Why not, it has separate battery...it gets signal from pickup, I think it works with every pickup.

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought the pickup signal from an EMG would be too strong?
                isn't this like wiring two JEs in a row?
                might be wrong there, but I've got complications in mind thinking of combining these two... [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                never tried it though. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
                tremstick give-away (performer series trem)

Comment

EMG's arent really all that high an output compared to some pickups I believe.

Not saying it will sound good either, haha...

Comment

The only thing about the pa2 is the added noise. To me they are not worth it do to the added noise they make.

Comment

I thought they were pretty quiet really. haha...

Comment

Hey Cleve, I had a pa2 in my old dinky and it was pretty noisy. I turned the trim pot down but then you get hardly any boost. It was a doubled edge sword with that thing. I finally got sick of it.

Comment

I ran mine about 10am, just enough to get some boost.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                            [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought the pickup signal from an EMG would be too strong?
                            isn't this like wiring two JEs in a row?
                            might be wrong there, but I've got complications in mind thinking of combining these two... [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                            never tried it though. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

There are hotter pu's than EMG 85.

And it's not like 2 Je-1000's in a row. EMG active pickups have preamp inside pickup. Magnet is weak and preamp boosts signal, so there is virtualy no noise (of course it depends how close you put pickup to the strings). So another preamp will just boost the signal a little more. Just like putting OD pedal in front of amp (like Zakk Wylde does with Boss SD-1- he has EMG 81 & 85 and likes to boost it more).

I think I'll go with EMG PA-2. Kerry King uses it with EMG's and I think I saw Dan Spitz had it in one of his guitars (with EMG 85). [img]/images/graemlins/band.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                            X