modeling vs tubes again.. yippeee!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: modeling vs tubes again.. yippeee!!

This is what I heard last night at rehearsal.
    My 5150II half stack is set up right next to the other guitarist's 5150 half stack. He runs his with a pedal board in the loop but for the most part he runs dry. I had my GT-6 plugged into the return of the 5150II. Standing directly in front of my amp I could hear my amp but I could feel his. The blend was actually very very good. The problem is for the songs he doesn't play. My sound just doesn't have the presence that his does.
    Now... rewind back to when I was using my Soldano. Again, the amps are right next to each other. I had to keep turning my amp down throughout the rehearsal because I was stomping his 5150 into the ground. I barely needed a solo boost. Every note was like a direct hit to your ear drums. You could hear every string on every chord. When he put his guitar down for songs he didn't play on it still sounded awesome. Even the drummer commented that he could hear everything I played. Every note. It was very cool.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
      I think modellers are great period... but if your playing abilities and enjoyment are limited by your amp's feel, then one should probably stay far away. I can get away with a lot more slop on the JSX and it's a lot easier to play through.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm thinking quite the opposite. When I play through my Matchless Chieftain or Mesa Stiletto, every little nuance can be heard and any sloppy playing will stand out in a big way. The JSX, if dialed in like I prefer, will not hide o whole lot of mistakes, but with the gain cranked it certainly will. I am not a huge fan of ultra high gain tube amps as most of them tend to lose any tube characteristics when run at max gain. Sure you can hide behind the tone at that point, but why not go solid state or modeling if that is the primary tone you use...it would be cheaper (in most cases) and more reliable.
      I know there are subtle differences even at max gain but not enough that anyone should bother with tubes at that point IMO (there are a few exceptions but I'm speaking in general terms).

Comment

Biggest difference I note is feel... the tube amps allow you to 'dig in' more and 'feel' the note. You can use some compressors and such with the modelling amps to bring up the 'feel factor' but it's not quite the same.

It's not that the tube amps 'hide' mistakes more, it's just that the attack envelopes are more round/forgiving, if that makes sense. And there is a very slight delay going through a modelling amp that I don't really notice unless I'm burning a scale pretty fast.

Pete

Comment

I have both. I love the Flextone IIIxl combo I have but the SLO just does it for me. The other day I was delivering an SLO that my brother bought off of me and we played it for a few minutes next to his Vetta II. The SLO just cut through. I like both for different reasons and applications. They both are great tools to get the job done. Sometimes you use a socket wrench.... Sometimes you use an open end... They both get the job done.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
            [ QUOTE ]
            I retubed my Carvin T100 with 5881's and ECC83S's. Its bias'd on the warm side. I don't care about tube life. The tone is outstanding. I will replace it though eventually with either a Mesa 50/50 or a VHT2150. I might even try the Marshall 9200 Monobloc. Thats down the road. I am totally happy with what the Carvin T100 is doing. Its CRAZY loud at 3:00 o'clock while running in 50w per side stereo.

[/ QUOTE ]

John...

If you like how it sounds, WHY REPLACE IT? I could understand it if you played through another poweramp and could hear an audible difference... but if it sounds good and you're happy with it, leave it alone.

I changed to the JSX to be lazy - it's easier to play, and I dug the tone when I checked one out at a music store. I have to use what I buy though, so if I didn't use it to gig with I'd probably sell it. Since I wasn't using the Vetta... it was like I had a lump of $ sitting there. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Pete

[/ QUOTE ]

I have been told by many that a better power amp will even enhance my sound further. Of course, I will A/B several before I make any decisions. It took me long enough to get this rig together. As of now... I am completely satisfied. Probably more than I can ever remember being regarding MY tone.

Comment

[img]/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif[/img]
              I bet $5.00 jgcable will have a new rig by January 23 [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                [img]/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif[/img]
                I bet $5.00 jgcable will have a new rig by January 23 [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

It will be before then. I am getting a SLO the first of the year.
                Seriously, I really think I am done amp shopping. I am really happy. I finally didn't compromise and I got everything I wanted. I also took some great advise by many great players on this board. They were correct. My tone is word and the word is good.

Comment

I'm really happy for ya.
                  I wish I had the drive you have in looking for that perfect tone were all looking for.
                  Somedays I'm very satisfied with my sound and somedays I'd like to start from scratch again.
                  I do get a kick reading about all the stuff you go through.
                  Once you find that perfect tone, let me know [img]/images/graemlins/help.gif[/img]
                  cause I need it.
                  [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]
                  Finn

Comment

Why would you want "his" perfect tone? Cuz if he ever finds it, THAT is what it will be, HIS perfect tone, hehe...

Comment

Well, after all the threads about his tone and the G-major I might give it a shot as well. Maybe I'll find my tone...
                      http://www.jacknapalm.com/

Comment

John, your tone is going to be found in one of the next 12 amps you buy over the next 3 months [img]/images/graemlins/poke.gif[/img]
                        I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

Possibly. I only average 2 amps per month so it will probably take me more like 6 months.

Comment

Yawn...

[img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                              Yawn...

[img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Am I keeping you awake?? [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                                Newc - most people aren't going to notice a different snare, but they would recognize Van Halen's guitar sound.

[/ QUOTE ]

people do notice the snare, trust me on that [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
                                "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

Working...
                                X