No announcement yet.

Jackson 2x12 cab w/Reds...Questions????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jackson 2x12 cab w/Reds...Questions????

Anyone have any experience with the old school Jackson either 4x12 or 2x12's loaded with the Jackson "red" speakers? I've got one for sale 10 minutes from me and am curious about some opinions on it...is it worth my time to check out?

Thanks,
    -Joel
    RIP Donny Swanstrom...JCF bro
    RIP Dime

Re: Jackson 2x12 cab w/Reds...Questions????

I love my 2x12s, sound great. They've pretty heavy, though. They weigh more than my compact 4x12 Crate! The speakers are supposedly Eminence.
    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Used to have the 4x12 in the store I worked at. It sounded good on higher gain settings but was pretty weak on clean tones compared to the Marshall 4x12's of the day.
      I would say it is worth checking out if the price is right.

Comment

He's asking $75 for the 2x12...from the picture it looks like it's in nice condition...it has the black grill.
        I'm used to playing through my Mesa recto 4x12's w/V30's, Mesa halfback 4x12's w/EV's, Black Shadows, and Celestion 100's...I don't play much clean...mostly metal-high gain....it sounds like I could be happy to add this to my lineup from what you guys are saying....?

- Joel
        RIP Dime

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
          He's asking $75 for the 2x12...from the picture it looks like it's in nice condition...it has the black grill.
          I'm used to playing through my Mesa recto 4x12's w/V30's, Mesa halfback 4x12's w/EV's, Black Shadows, and Celestion 100's...I don't play much clean...mostly metal-high gain....it sounds like I could be happy to add this to my lineup from what you guys are saying....?

- Joel

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey Joel, I just picked up a Mesa 4 x 12 half back. I haven't even plugged it in yet. I need it for a big show tomorrow night. I usually use a 5150 4 x 12 cab or a pair of Randall 2 x 12 cabs. Is there anything I should be prepared for regarding the 1/2 open 1/2 closed design? It is currently wired in mono for 8 ohms. I am going to keep it that way. I believe it has Vin 30's in the bottom and 75 or 90w Celestions on top. BTW... $75.00 for a 2 x 12 with reds in it in good shape is a no-brainer.

Comment

Hey John,
            I'm assuming the halfback is one of the earlier ones before they had the stereo option. My black shadow/EV loaded cab is a stereo cab and the one loaded with Celestion 100's is the older mono cab. I could never do a side by side on them because they are both so different AND the stereo cab I keep closed back while the mono has an open back. I would like to see what difference closing the back to the mono cab would make though. I have heard though that closing the back will add a little tightness and/or a bit depth to the cab, but obviously that depends on the speakers too I'm sure. I think you will be very happy with the cab...especially over the 5150 cab with the Sheffields! It's nice that these cabs are so compact too! Here's an old pic of them side by side with one of the Recto 4x12's:

RIP Dime

Comment

At that price and with your style, I think it's a no brainer to pick it up.

Comment

Thanks guys....I emailed the guy to see if we could meet up tonight to pick it up. I appreciate the input!

- Joel
                RIP Dime

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                  At that price and with your style, I think it's a no brainer to pick it up.

[/ QUOTE ]
                  Definitely! Those things are worth quite a bit more, I'd say. The speakers do sound a little on the bright side, IMO, but not overly so.
                  I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Working...
                  X