Riddle me this... delay pedal question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Riddle me this... delay pedal question

Joe, swing by the house and you can check out the Maxon [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
    I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

Ever thought about trying a wet-dry setup? For my dollar it sounds better than an effects loop because the wet effect is applied to power amp tone in addition to preamp, and works with amps that have no effects loops. Most of my amps lack them, and I don't use the loops on the ones that do.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
        You gonna use this with the Univalve? Go with the Maxon if you can get a good deal on one. It's what I use with my Uni and it sounds righteous.

[/ QUOTE ]
        Yes, with the Uni. I love that little amp! Great sound clean or distorted, pretty good for metal, mostly like Kill 'Em All era Metallica. Definitely needs a boost for more modern metal, but I haven't tried one yet.
        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
          Ever thought about trying a wet-dry setup? For my dollar it sounds better than an effects loop because the wet effect is applied to power amp tone in addition to preamp, and works with amps that have no effects loops. Most of my amps lack them, and I don't use the loops on the ones that do.

[/ QUOTE ]

Can you explain the wet/dry set up using an amp with no effects loop and time based effects?

Comment

I thought you would like it. Put a nice OD or distortion in front and you'll nail that Overkill Horrorscope kind of tone. The Uni is cool as hell and I am happy to hear that you are digging it.

The little prick can get loud too - that really surprised me.
            Tarbaby Fraser.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
              That's a great idea, actually! I do have a Carvin power amp and other cabs I could hook up. Or I could even slave it to my Mesa F-30 combo and use that loop since I do actually think it sounds rather good. [img]/images/graemlins/idea2.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                I thought you would like it. Put a nice OD or distortion in front and you'll nail that Overkill Horrorscope kind of tone. The Uni is cool as hell and I am happy to hear that you are digging it.

The little prick can get loud too - that really surprised me.

[/ QUOTE ]
                Yeah, I almost blew out my eardrums when using the attenuator... I didn't realize you have to basically think of it as a volume control and I turned it all the way clockwise at first. I was like what the hell does THD mean you can get great power tube distortion at low volumes?!? [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

[img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] Classic!!
                  Tarbaby Fraser.

Comment

toejam.
                    In the Dec 2005 Guitar player, (just got it today) on page 145 it has a review on 9 different delay pedals.
                    One of them is the Maxon AD-999.
                    Kudds: Excellent sound quality.900ms of delay. Inspiring to use.
                    Concerns: none

The others are:
                    Diamond Memory Lane
                    Dytone Di'ana echo
                    Homebrew Mimic Mock 1
                    Line 6 echo Park ( Editors pick)
                    Moog Mf-104Z ( Editors pick)
                    Onerr DGD-2
                    Rocktron Short Timer ( Editors pick)
                    & Smart People Factory 1-5

Finn

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                      toejam.
                      In the Dec 2005 Guitar player, (just got it today) on page 145 it has a review on 9 different delay pedals.

[/ QUOTE ]
                      Oh yeah! I just recently got a subscription to that. I guess I should read the whole thing, huh? [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

like you can read...
                        I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

I just look at the pictures.

Comment

I have used a Boss DM-2 analog delay pedal since the mid 80's. They sound great. They won't do U2, but for everything else, they're big fat and juicy...mmm dinner time. Here's one on eBay now:

http://cgi.ebay.com/BOSS-DM-2-DM2-DM-2-R...1QQcmdZViewItem

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                              [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Can you explain the wet/dry set up using an amp with no effects loop and time based effects?

[/ QUOTE ]

Sure thing, my friend.

It's requires a bit more gear / lugging crap around, but it will get you one heck of a great delay & reverb sound (many believe clearer than an effects loop because it sends delay / reverb to all of the distortion and character of the power section of your amp).

You need something like a THD hotplate and a poweramp / second cabinet / stereo cabinet, etc. Your run the speaker output of the amp into the hotplate. The hotplate has a line out that bumps the signal down to one that can be run directly into effects pedals or rack units. In addition, it has a speaker output. Run the speaker output of the hotplate directly into the amplifiers cabinet or speakers as normal. Take the line out and run it into your delay /reverb. From there, you run it into another poweramp and then to a speaker cabinet. If you use a 4x12, you can rewire it for stereo so the dry signal goes to two speakers, the wet to the other two. From there, you mix in as much wet sound as you want using the volume on the poweramp.

I use a Tech 21 powerengine 60 for the wet sound. That way the speaker and poweramp are together in one lightweight, easy to carry unit. You can also use the effects return of any amp with an effects loop for the wet poweramp. Before I ran the powerengine 60, I used a $100 Fender solid state amp for the wet poweramp. With my Mojave coyote, it sounds just like Van Halen using this setup. Van Halen, Michael Landau, Carl Verheyen and lots of other great players use this setup to get a lush wet sound with their old school Marshalls, etc.

It's a bit more of a production than an effects loop, but once you try it you'll never go back, and it works with any amp.

Comment

What type of cable do you use from the "Hotplate line out" to
                                the "power amp"? guitar cable?
                                Great info by the way. I was wondering what I could use my
                                "Hotplate line out" for.

Comment

Working...
                                X