tell me about the marshall 6100 !

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tell me about the marshall 6100 !

how do they sound in comparison to the TSL 100 and the older two channel JCM 800 amps (2210)?
    i definitely like my 2210 a lot, i just like the idea of having a dedicated lead channel on my marshall.
    is the 6100 crunch channel in the 2210 ballpark in terms of tone, gain, and brutality. would it suit my style of music?
    does the lead channel have enough gain and compression for leads?
    furthermore, i noticed that there are EL34 and 5881 versions. how do they compare? i like the growl and marshall roar of the EL34s, but apparently the 5881 version has a revoiced preamp that makes the EL34 more of a rock amp in contrast to the 5881's metal reputation. is there any truth to this?

last but not least, are there any reliability issues? and what's a good price for a 6100 head, in (near-)mint condition?

iirc, siggy14 used to have both a TSL and a 6100. maybe you could chime in here and tell me about the differences, esp. regarding the crunch channel for metal rhythm applications. i know the TSL does it quite well imho.

thanks in advance

Re: tell me about the marshall 6100 !

Less gain than a TSL, I'm not a real fan. I always thought the 6100s were like a really nice JCM900. I'd go with a 5150 or JSX over any of them personally. Or a JCM800 2010!

Pete

Comment

i currently own the regular 6100 but i have also owned the 6100LM, so let me sum it up for you here. Way better sounding then the TSL's and great amps and very verstile.

Now if you are gonna compare these to the marshall JCM800's and 900's make sure you compare them with the right tubes. The regular 6100 put up against other marshalls with EL34's, were the 6100LM would go up against marshalls with 5881's and 6550's. Lets just say these heads can do all the old marshalls up to it and then some, but not as much gain as the TSL's.

If you want a simple head go with a JCM800, if you want verstility go with a 6100LM, if you want balls out gain get a 5150 or JSX like twister suggested.

Comment

i HAVE both an 2210 and a 5150 [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] it's just that i noticed a lot of those 6100 on ebay, and wondered if they are any good, as i'm a fan of the marshall tone, but with some added verstility.

well let's see....i run the gain on my 2210 almost maxed on my 2210, and the TSL has enough gain for metal rhythm with the gain set to around 15:00 on the crunch channel. this is not balls out uber saturated gain, more like a defined and clear marshall roar.

is the 6100 anywhere in this ballpark?

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
          i HAVE both an 2210 and a 5150 [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] it's just that i noticed a lot of those 6100 on ebay, and wondered if they are any good, as i'm a fan of the marshall tone, but with some added verstility.

well let's see....i run the gain on my 2210 almost maxed on my 2210, and the TSL has enough gain for metal rhythm with the gain set to around 15:00 on the crunch channel. this is not balls out uber saturated gain, more like a defined and clear marshall roar.

is the 6100 anywhere in this ballpark?

[/ QUOTE ]

I have never played the 2210, but i can imagine the gain on the 6100 red channel is comparible or maybe even a little more. I know the 6100LM had a little mod on the red channel giving it more gain, hence the LM= Lead mod. Plenty of verstility in this amp, some people consider it the best marshall ever made, and some people cant stand it, so it goes on taste.

Comment

oh....if the lead channel has about as much gain as my 2210 i'll stay away from it. i need the CRUNCH channel to have this much gain, or the amp is useless for me.

thanks for the replies, though

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
              oh....if the lead channel has about as much gain as my 2210 i'll stay away from it. i need the CRUNCH channel to have this much gain, or the amp is useless for me.

thanks for the replies, though

[/ QUOTE ]

It probaly has more then a normal 2210, but since i never played one i cant honestly tell you that it does. What i can tell you is it has as much gain as a marshall SLX and like the SLX it is all tube gain no Diode clipping.

Comment

price?

one more question, though: what would you consider a good deal for one? EL34 version, so obviously one of the first few prior to the 6100LM version.

Comment

Re: price?

is it black or blue tolex. Basically they sell between $800 and $1000 in USA cash for the black tolex EL34 version or $800 to $1200 in usa cash for the blue tolex with EL34's and if it is the the blue tolex with Brass chasis and logo then $1300 to $2000 in usa cash. But i am not sure what would be considered a good deal in your country.

Comment

Re: price?

black tolex.
                    there's a blue tolex with brass tube covers and stuff for 500 euro starting price, 1200 euro BIN.
                    i was wondering because i searched through ebay, and they are CHEAP. ok, i haven't watched the market for a long time (obviously), but this just seems low to me. i mean, the jcm 800 amps starting at 1 euro are up to 500 euro in 2 days max, whereas there are a few 6100's on the 'bay that have like 1 or 2 days left and currently have 350 euro as the highest bid.

thanks a whole bunch, you're the man [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                    X