6550's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 6550's

ok guys, i am gonna retube my JMP 2203, what 6550's do you guys suggest, and no i dont want to convert it to EL34s, i like the thump of the 6550's

Re: 6550\'s

I'd go with the SED winged C Svetlana myself.

But, here is some interesting input...

http://www.watfordvalves.com/cgi-bin...treport_42.pdf

Comment

+2 on the winged C 6550's
      "Now remember, things look bad and it looks like you're not gonna make it, then you gotta get mean. I mean plumb, mad-dog mean. 'Cause if you lose your head and you give up then you neither live nor win. That's just the way it is. ":JOSEY WALES

Comment

Hmmm, I'm gonna go broke soon if I start checking out a bunch of cool tubes. I got a THD Univalve amp that's self-biasing and can take pretty much any tube. Damn them!!! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

The Tungsol 6550's are real nice.
          Jerry
          FJA Mods YouTube

Comment

i ordered some winged C's this morning. Believe it or not i really like the GT's in my JCM800, and i had the Tung's in another JCM800 and they both sounded great. I figure i will try and give winged C's a chance, i dont care for the ones that are in my mesa dual rec, but then again that has a fixed cold bias so i dont think they are being used like they should be. My next purchase will be to have mr eurotubes send me tubes for that.

Comment

Change the screen resistor and throw in some kt88. Youll get major lowend thump. Thats what I did in mine and it screams.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                Change the screen resistor and throw in some kt88. Youll get major lowend thump. Thats what I did in mine and it screams.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, i dont need that much low end, but thanks for the suggestion.

Comment

Another vote for the Tung Sol reissue. Talk to Lord Valve!

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                    Another vote for the Tung Sol reissue. Talk to Lord Valve!

[/ QUOTE ]

They are good,i have had them in two amps now, but like i said i also liked the GT's and i have heard alot about the winged C's, so i am gonna give them a shot and see how i like them.

Comment

Did you get your Uber yet Siggy?

Comment

I have NOS GT 6550's in mine that I bought in 88-89 and they really pretty good. I'd proably go w/ Tung Sol's for my next replacememnts.

Joe your lucky its a Uni-valve...if a quad vale then you'd be spending some money on tubes [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
                        shawnlutz.com

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                          Joe your lucky its a Uni-valve...if a quad vale then you'd be spending some money on tubes [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
                          Yeah, tell me about it! I get off fairly lightly in this case. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
                          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                            Did you get your Uber yet Siggy?

[/ QUOTE ]

Comes in today via fed ex, they usually deliver to me between 5pm and 7pm so it is gonna be a long wait today

Comment

you know i have to give props to the tube store, i placed an order yesterday morning for my tubes, and they are on the truck today to be delivered.

Comment

Working...
                              X