Marshall 1987x opinions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marshall 1987x opinions

I am looking at a 1998 50 watt 1987x Reissue and it seems pretty cool. I always use the recto or British models on my Flextone II HD, so I am a little nervous the 1987x won't be gainy enough.

What's the downside - other than the non-switching 2channel and the fact it's a reissue - not original?

How much different than a 2204 is it tone-wise?
    When you take a shower in space, you have to press the water onto your body to clean yourself, and then you gotta vacuum it off. - Ace Frehley

Re: Marshall 1987x opinions

Sometimes you take a plunge on an unknown.
    Trying to find your favorite amp and describing them in words is like trying to decide your favorite beer by descriptions of taste.

The early reissues did not have the effects loop..which I'm assuming this one does not as it is about the time of the first ones coming out. It is 'rumored' that these have a more desired response. 'Course, if you have a need for an effects loop, Marshall answered the call and put one into the product line in following years and I have not heard anything bad about the effects loop itself. Might want to try plexi palace, I'm sure a question similar to your has been placed on the forum previously.

Comment

Yup, no FX loop, great advice Tom - different strokes and you just never know.

Well chalk one up to experience, I thought it was good, and I could get used to it. After hooking it up side by side,I preferred my 4010 combo (2204 in a combo) to it and instantly missed the gain knob.
      This amp is awesome and breaks up nicely at VOLUME, but I really think a 2210 head is in my future.
      I dunno, gonna throw some pedals at it or maybe some yellow jackets or hotplate.....see what happens. Something tells me yellow jackets in this would be just wrong.
      It was a pretty stupid impulse buy, but what the hell it's a Marshall [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
      When you take a shower in space, you have to press the water onto your body to clean yourself, and then you gotta vacuum it off. - Ace Frehley

Comment

My advice is to pass on the yellow jackets, if you run any type of convertor, the PR928 Groove Tube makes have a far response and way better overall real tone.
        The Yellow Jackets sounded very brittle at breakup in my Marshalls.

Comment

I have been reading about the Master Volume mod for this amp, but in the end, what makes a MV modded 1987 different from a 2204?

Comment

Not much really, out side of styling and format maybe a cap value change here or a resistor there.

Comment

Charvelguy - you are the man!

Comment

I've got one of the early 1987X reissues without the effects loop. It might have about 3 hours of use. Why, IT'S LOUD! I can't use it in the studio. If I wanted to use it more, I would have to install a Splawn master volume, channel mod or use a THD with it. Stock, it blows the windows out in the studio. Monster tone and loud. [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]
                Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

Working...
                X