Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

talkin' JCM800 - single vs. split channel ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• talkin' JCM800 - single vs. split channel ?

so, is there a huge difference regarding the gain channels? i'm only interested in the higher gain side of those amps.
    basically, let's say if i owned a split channel, is there enough of a difference to justify buying a single channel one, too? [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
    i know the split channel version has more gain, but that's about it. can i roll back the gain on the split channel and have a convincing single channel sound? or is there a obvious voicing difference?
    the thing is, i'm running an OD pedal in front of any amp (including the split channel jcm) anyway, and as the single channel versions are said to be more "pure" and just plain "better" sounding i wonder if i'm better off swapping the 2210 for a 2203 (i don't use the fx loop or the clean channel btw)

ah, and btw, i just swapped a few tubes around in my 2210 (the JJ 12ax7 v1 i bought for my 5150 sounds kickass in the marshall's v1 [img]/images/graemlins/band.gif[/img] ), and noticed that it has the drake transformers [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

just give me some input, please

thanks in advance

Re: talkin\' JCM800 - single vs. split channel ?

2110's are by far my favorite Marshalll

It had enough gain on tap to not need a stomp..

I ran two in stereo with four 1960B cabs..This is what I loved so much when I bought my 9200 w 5881s / JMP-1 and JFX-1..

it sounded like a "tighter, better" version of what I had with two sepereate heads..and midi and consistant..very similar in tone...very SMOOTH , ALIVE gain and even TIGHTER!

I had MANY Marshall 800s and a 900..and the 2210 was by far my favorite Marshal head..!!!

I like it better than the 50 watt version...much better bottom end and head room..I let the preamp do the work..instead of having to rely on the poweramp section to make it.."cool".
    "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
    Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

yep, i'm with you on the poweramp thing. those 100w heads DO have a better bottom end and overall punch.

regarding the jmp1 setup...i use that one for rehearsal, and it's definitely some cool stuff, but i think i prefer my head. funny thing is that i have this whole like 100 preset preamp, 10 button floorboard plus like 10 banks etc, and actually all i use is one sound, and a mute [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

"It had enough gain on tap to not need a stomp.."
      yep, it does. when plugging straight in i turn the boost channel gain almost all the way up, like 9-9,5, and adjust the boost volume until it starts sound scratchy, which is around 8-8,5. somehow the volume control adds gain, too. master is around 4, and i'm set.

however, i prefer backing off the gain to around 8 on the volume and 7-8 on the gain, and put an OD in front of it. sounds more punchy to me, with an even tighter bottom end response. and as i said above, i wondered if i just should back down to the 2203 as i'm using an OD pedal anyway.

Comment

come on, there are more jcm800 guys around here than just bill and myself [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
          come on, there are more jcm800 guys around here than just bill and myself [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I have never played the split channels, i do however own the 2204 and a JMP-1 and love them both. I love throwing a SD-1 in front of the 2204, it just screams, by the way my 2204 has 6550's in it.

Comment

Well, the single channel unit do have less gain, but they don't do clean so well either. If you mod it to get the gain, then you REALLY won't get clean so well. The singles "are" more "pure" sounding. But are what they are, one channel. You may end up running a few amps if you desire the badassed gain and a nice clean.

The double channels, have some issues with crosstalk on the clean channel, but are quite useable. It is voiced a bit different than the single. I believe it is the diodes on the doubles front end that help the gain boost that make the diff in voicing. They are still mighty similar.

I'd prolly look for a dual channel.

Comment

"You may end up running a few amps if you desire the badassed gain and a nice clean."
              i should have mentioned that: i NEVER play clean...sorta like bill [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] i need one straight up rhythm sound. and something to achieve a lead boost (esp. volume) for guess what, leads [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

I'm partial to single channel simplicity for JCM800's. 2203 and 2204's get my vote...don't need no stinkin clean channel on a Marshall anyway [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
                shawnlutz.com

Comment

Only had 50's single and dual channel side by side

Same cab 1960a through a rackmount chandler tube driver

2205-Channel switching

Better lead sound but the rhythm was thinner sounding
                  A plus was the reverb
                  Clean sound is not that clean, rolling off guitar volume on a single channel gets the same place

Master Head was thicker and beefer but didn't quite get the same place lead wise.

Must note that I can't remember whether I had el34s or 6l6's in the 2205

Had 6550's in the master head

I sold the 2205 when I bought my recto only cause I had to sell one head and the 2204 I bought new and it has sentimental value

Bottom line is I have never played 2 JCM800's that sound the same-If you have a good one keep it

Also its not worth selling a channel switching to get a master and vice versa unless you can afford to buy the other and do a side by side comparison-then dump the one you like the least. But most likely, you will want to keep both and it will kill you to sell one.

Comment

Working...
                  X