Amp's that compliment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Amp's that compliment

Hey guys, last night whilst i was at band practice, i paid close attention to how my amp and the other guitarists amp interacted with each other (how they filled out the sound and sounded great). I noticed that when i play on my own, my sound kicks major ass, but when i play a song, the overall sound could be better (the acoustics of the room we practice in aren't great, but it's useable). The other guitarist uses a TSL60 into a Marshall 4x12 with 2 greenbacks and two metal coned speakers which i have no idea what they actually are. Now i don't know what it is, but it sound really fuzzy and harsh, like it sounds like it has too much gain and high end. Now this guy is pretty fixed on what he thinks is good tone, so when i tried to see what it would be like if i changed his settings a bit (which sounded a bit better but a bit too bassy) he changed back to his original settings. During playing, i notice he keeps checking the sound of my amp and his amp, so i kinda get the feeling that he thinks somethings up with the sound. Have any of you guys experienced this? and what did you do about it?
    93 USA Soloist EDS
    USA HT6 Juggernaut
    Charvel DK24FR

Re: Amp\'s that compliment

Alrite,
    you didn't say what you're using, but here's some ideas for 2 guitar sounds:
    if the other guitar sound is very toppy, try rolling off the highs on your sound, it might sound a bit muffled on its own but should complement the other guitar sound better.
    you can also set up two guitar sounds with different mid peaks (you'll need some form of graphic or parametric eq unit), maybe set one about 1kHz and the other at about 2.5kHz. You can also set one sound as a very middly sound (usually 1kHz) with little highs and lows and the other a more scooped sound with plenty bass & highs but not so much mid (a little at 2.5kHz).
    I'm sure there are others with different ideas, getting two heavy guitar sounds to fit in a band is not easy,
    cheers
    Callum

Comment

I second the suggestion to use a parametric EQ if possible. It could be as simple as a minor adjustment to the midrange frequencies on each rig. Speakers and pickups will definitely play a part in it too. Subtle changes will make a big difference at high volumes.
      sigpic

Comment

One guitar player in my band uses the Marshall DSL 50, and I use the Dual Rectifier, and I think they compliment eachother really nicely. The other one uses a Crate Blue Voodoo and it is too loud.

Comment

try turning down the presence on both guitars.
          Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

when i still had my mesa DC-5 people told me it sounded great when mixed with the other dude's marshall TSL 100. in theory, it makes sense, as the mesa filled in the frequencies the marshall lacks and vice versa.
            however, i couldn't hear myself using this amp without overpowering pretty much anything. i need to get another mesa at some point, though.....

Comment

Working...
            X