Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Distortion Pedal Recommendations

Hey guys,

I am looking at getting a killer dist pedal to put in front of my POD. I pretty much just want to use the POD for the amp modelling, but I need a versatile pedal that ain't gonna cost me an arm and a leg. I'm really fucking cheap. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

I play metal of all kinds (thrash, death, traditional), so something that has a lot of range and color to it. Lots of crunch, but I wann able able to hear what notes I'm playing.

It's gotta have true bypass, coz I got a Behringer DM100 and when the pedal is off, you can still hear the distortion faintly in the back ground. The DM100 just has some kind of buffering circuit. I'll be taking it back to the store today.

I'm thinking of the MT-2, but any suggestions are welcome.

Thanks.
    THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Re: Distortion Pedal Recommendations

The MT-2 is not true bypass. I would think that most cheap pedals will NOT be true bypass. Whats wrong with the POD distortion??

Comment

You most likely won't find a cheap true bypass pedal. The MT-2 should meet your qualifications otherwise. Why a pedal...the POD has more gain than any good guitar tone should ever need?

Comment

[img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img] Why put a pedal in front of it? The POD doesn't get heavy enough with its amp modeling?
        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Just thinking of running an MT-2 to the front end of a POD makes me want to hurl.
          I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

The distorion on the POD is very brittle and digital sounding to me. Tweaking the Big Rectifier works pretty good and the Modern Hi-Gain (Soldano X88) is really good, but just not quite...enough. I don't know. I think my best bet is to get the POD XT already. Enough fucking around. The sounds out of that unit are much more what I want. The Criminal preset is especially cool. Guess I'll just have to save my pennies.

Thanks guys.

Btw, does the MT-2 do the same thing I mentioned that the DM100 does? When running clean can you still hear the distored signal faintly in the background?
            THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
              Btw, does the MT-2 do the same thing I mentioned that the DM100 does? When running clean can you still hear the distored signal faintly in the background?

[/ QUOTE ]
              It shouldn't do that. I'm not really a big fan of "metal" pedals in general, but the cool thing about the MT2 is that not only does it have a midrange control, it's got a mid frequency control, too, for more tone shaping.
              I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I have an MT2. I don't use it anymore because I have a Framus Cobra and I don't need any more distortion pedals.

But I liked the MT2. You can dial in a lot of sounds.
                PLAY TILL U DIE !!!

Comment

I have never heard a distortion pedal that sounded good in front of a POD.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                    I have never heard a distortion pedal that sounded good in front of a POD.

[/ QUOTE ]

a tube screamer works pretty good for a subtle effect.
                    I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

Yea Tim, but he is looking for a serious high gain thrash metal type of distortion pedal.

Comment

I love the MT-2, but it is noisy!! Jack.

Comment

I used to have an MT-2....yuck IMO. I have a Zoom Tri-Metal that has similar controls, but it is a lot better pedal IMO, though they are getting hard to find. My favorite high gain pedal is a Zoom Driver 5000...that is just one awesome, awesome pedal. It's a modeling pedal that was made before the word "modeling" had come into existence. Zoom for the most part makes dog poo gear, but both of those pedals are standouts and great performers.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                            Just thinking of running an MT-2 to the front end of a POD makes me want to hurl.

[/ QUOTE ]

+1 [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Just curious what the dm100 sounded like...?

Comment

Working...
                              X