Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Distortion Pedal Recommendations

[ QUOTE ]
    Just curious what the dm100 sounded like...?

[/ QUOTE ]

The actual distoritions aren't bad. The DS-1 sounds pretty close to a real DS-1, but a bit thinner. Pretty damn noisy too, but if I remember correctly so was the DS-1. It's been a few years since I used one. The D+ (supposed to be an MXR+) is just kinda...blah. I had an MXR+ and it had some body to it. This one was just flat and again, quite thin. The RAT setting was good for an overdrive. I've never played on a RAT before, so I can't really compare the two, but it was okay. Not nearly as noisy as the other 2 settings, but still not great.

I played all my guitars through it both in front of the POD on all the clean presets and also through my Bandit 112. Sounded very nice with the Peavey, especially the DS-1 and Rat. The tone knob really allows for some drastic sound changes on the RAT setting. It does nothing on the D+ coz the MXR didn't have a tone control. The Line 6 Clean with the DM100 on DS-1 was fucking great. Very Metallica - Kill Em All.

All in all it's not bad for $35.00 - BUT, and this is a big but, the fact that I can clearly hear the distorted signal in the background while the pedal is off ruined it for me. It makes the pedal pretty much unusable. It's so much of a distraction that I can't stand it.

The thing is made almost entirely of plastic too. Rather thick plastic, but come on. That shit is not what "Stomp Boxes" should be built from. [img]/images/graemlins/refuse.gif[/img] The way the battery compartment opens up is really dumb too. Just another way to snap the plastic.

I had been thinking about keeping it and perhaps modding it. I was gonna swap the guts into an old Dixon distortion pedal and change to a true bypass so I don't hear my guitar doubled in the background, but I'm only partly clear on how to and I really don't think it's worth my time and effort.

I'm thinking of the Line 6 Uber Metal. I heard some killer clips at the Line 6 forums of it in front of the POD and it's awesome. Again, I think I will save my coin and get the XT Live with the Metal pack first and take it from there.

In the meantime I'm gonna take it back today and get the Behringer 7 band EQ instead. Just to try it out. I'll post a review later. If I hate it too, maybe the Hellbabe Wah? [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] I'm such a whore for disappointment!
    THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Comment

i say a tube screamer or and SD-1 (yellow).
      Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

ART Xtreme. No noise or "tone suck" when bypassed, great distortion and effects, and a very capable parametric EQ. They can be found on eBay fairly often for under $100, and are perfectly fine for live and studio use.
        sigpic

Comment

look for a tech21 XXL, i think its one of the best sounding pedals. does alot of differnt levels of gain & very tweakable.

Comment

Hey Nuc! I'm metalhead as well and feel your need for REAL hi-gain!! I used a "Grunge" pedal for years before I got my Rivera! I ran it Clean through and older Carvin! No noise at all when it was off! Tons of bottom end/treble!! I never turned the knobs up all the way! It's fairly cheap as well! Tough guy, still works, but needs an occansional cleaning!!
            I love admins!

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
              I used a "Grunge" pedal for years before I got my Rivera! I ran it Clean through and older Carvin!

[/ QUOTE ]
              DOD's Grunge pedal was actually pretty nice, sounded like a hotrodded Marshall, IMO, but I still think it needed just a tiny bit more gain.
              I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I'd give the DOD's a shot. The death metal pedal doesn't sound too bad either. That through a Peavey transtube is actually a pretty cool sound. You'll have to sit down and tweak for a while as up front the tone will be kinda thin. Play by yourself for a bit, and then when the rest of the band comes in keep it within tweaking reach, as it will need some adjustment.

What about the Metal Master pedal?

I have an Akai Shred-o-matic pedal. I liked the diode sound, the rest was too buzzy. It's a really buzzy pedal anyway, only good for low volumes at which it sounds pretty chunky. I've used it live a couple of times through a bandit, and it held out pretty nicely. I used it as my soloing distortion pedal and it held pretty nicely.

I've also got a Boss DF-2? It's a little yellow pedal with a feedback control on it. I haven't ever used that one live, but it sounded pretty cool for bedroom.

Comment

I had a buddy who used a Grunge pedal (for playing grunge of course [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] ) and it was pretty good. He ran his Les Paul into it and into an old no name amp he got from his dad and his tone was thick and meaty. I'd love to know what kind of amp that was. The $2000 Gibson probably helped too though.

I'm definetly getting the POD XTL. I tried out one with the Metal Pack the other day (through a sweet new Charvel Star [img]/images/graemlins/drool2.gif[/img] ) and I'm hooked.

Thanks for all the suggestions though. That's why I love this place! [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]
                  THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                    The death metal pedal doesn't sound too bad either.

[/ QUOTE ]
                    As far as metal the Grundge blows away the death metal! The death metal to me sound more like the grundge than the death metal does! Lol!
                    I love admins!

Comment

Working...
                    X