Attenuators, lets discuss

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Attenuators, lets discuss

i bought a 100w Weber Mass for my JCM800, and i now use it with my Engl. Its great, switchable ohms, has a true bypass switch, 3 ranges of treble boost, a high\low range switch, 2 speaker outs, a line out and tone controls for the line out.

Really sounds good, either attenuating through my cab, or being used as a dummy load\di box into my pc.

More flexible than the hot plate, and cheaper. plus Ted is always quick on his emails and helpful [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

I've got a THD Univalve amp that's got a sort of Hot Plate attenuator built in. Is that any different/better from their regular Hot Plate?
      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
        I've got a THD Univalve amp that's got a sort of Hot Plate attenuator built in. Is that any different/better from their regular Hot Plate?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah. It's a rheostat with a cap for treble compensation on it. I've built that circuit in some of my small amps too. It works ok on them, but it's nowhere near a 'real' MASS or hotplate.

Pete

Comment

Cool. Thanks, Pete. It does work pretty well. I've not tried a stand-alone attenuator, though.
          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Powerbrakes are extremely unreliable...I had at least half of the ones I sold come back to the shop.

The Power Soak is ancient technology and infamous for blowing up output tranny's.

The THD is hands down the best unit I have ever tried (although I don't care for attenuation as a general rule). Although I have never tried the Weber unit, I can't imagine that it could be any better. I also like the fact that the THD is set for dedicated ohm ratings...fewer parts, lesser likelihood of failure.

With that said, I don't see why you would need to attentuate the Stiletto when playing live. It sounds fantastic at medium volumes and is servicable at low volumes. Although it is great when cranked, I always feel I lose something with attenuation and I think this amp will sound better without it at gig volumes.

Comment

How well would a Weber Mass work with an 120w amp? I'm guessing it wouldn't at all (not without smoke and other fun stuff), but I could be wrong.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                How well would a Weber Mass work with an 120w amp? I'm guessing it wouldn't at all (not without smoke and other fun stuff), but I could be wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]
                as long as you're not cranking it, the 100 watt model would probably be fine

(in other words, just as well as a cab rated for 100 watts: fine and dandy until you cranked it too much, then.. not so good.. [img]/images/graemlins/eek.gif[/img]

Comment

Thanks for all the input. I like the track record of the THD and the simplicity of it. I also like the options on the Weber Mass. I'm going to wait and hear the Stiletto at home and in gig setting before buying anything.
                  "My G-Major can blow me!" - Bill

Comment

Chaulk up another one for the THD. I use one with my JCM 900 and love it. The only thing that I have found is that it starts to affect the tone when attentuating more that 8db. Attentuation at 12db still sounds pretty good but, seems to thin out the amp.

Does the Weber have frequency compensation like the THD? (ie. bright/deep switches)

edit* nevermind, I checked the link to the pic. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

I just bought a Weber miniMASS to try with my 20W Soldano, we'll see how it works when I get it

Comment

THD Hotplate gets my vote, amazing piece of gear
                        93 USA Soloist EDS
                        USA HT6 Juggernaut
                        Charvel DK24FR

Comment

'nother weber mass question: is there any significant disadvantage to using a higher wattage model for a low wattage amp? (if I want to dime a 5 watt amp (too loud for grumpy neighbors unattenuated), would there be any major sound difference between using a 100W mass and a 25W mass? I'm assuming no.

(thinking about buying one, but would like to be able to use it with big and small amps both)

Comment

I would buy the 150watt model myself. You can use a high handling model with a low wattage amp. They just make different models to tailor to many differing types & attitudes.

Comment

Working...
                            X