MXR Distortion +

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MXR Distortion +

I found some good reviews about the MXR Distortion +, has anyone tried it?? I`m looking for a vintage sound these days like early iron maiden kinda, no way I can get that with my metal zone

Re: MXR Distortion +

Good vintage distortion but not real versatile. Classic Randy Rhoads distortion. It is what he used.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
      I found some good reviews about the MXR Distortion +, has anyone tried it?? I`m looking for a vintage sound these days like early iron maiden kinda, no way I can get that with my metal zone

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe re-ask the question "How do I get the Early Iron Maiden Tone?"

Personally I just plug in a guitar to my Marshall Micro Stack, dime everything, and rock on [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

I'd be curious to hear what other people have to say.

Comment

I have a really old D+ and it just sits in my bag. I pull it out every once in a while and give it a spin, then put it back into the bag. I guess I'm more of an overdrive man, I really don't get much out of that pedal.

Jason

Comment

I have one sitting around collecting dust along with that YJM pedal. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
          Scott
          Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Comment

It all depends on the amp you are using.

Comment

The MXR Distortion + came out when there were a lot of solid state amps floating around - I thought they were great with my old Acoustic 134 solid state 4x10 amp. I think they sound like shit into a tube amp personally.

I know this will be sacrilege around here but I don't think Randy's tone was that great a lot of times - way to much buzzy distortion a lot of times - I blame the MXR Distortion + [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
              I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                The MXR Distortion + came out when there were a lot of solid state amps floating around - I thought they were great with my old Acoustic 134 solid state 4x10 amp. I think they sound like shit into a tube amp personally.

I know this will be sacrilege around here but I don't think Randy's tone was that great a lot of times - way to much buzzy distortion a lot of times - I blame the MXR Distortion + [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I used an MXR Distortion + with a Hiwatt 120w tube head and I got pretty darn close to nailing Randy's tone. I agree with Tim too regarding Randy's live tone. It was certainly buzzy at times. I thought it worked better with tube amps myself. There are a ton of pedals out there now that are much better than the MXR Distortion +.
                Try a Marshall Jackhammer. I never tried one but I bet the new Line 6 distortion modeler pedal is good.

Comment

The Line 6 distortion modeler pedal is awesome. I sold mine cuz I need something for the rack and the %$#@%@ at Line 6 will only make a rack version for you if you are in U2.

- Newc

Comment

I need another distortion pedal, what would you think of an Ibanez Tubescreamer in front of the Amp Distortion, anyway in a near future I plan to get a Marshall JMP1, but I need something now.

Comment

A Tubescreamer is not high gain but they sound great. They are a midrangy overdrive pedal. Great for solo boosts in particular. If you're looking for a Marshall tone the Marshall Guv'nor pedal is a good one. What kind of amp are you running?

An old Boss DS-1 and a Carvin X-100B with a Power Soak is what I was using back in the 80's and we played a lot of Maiden. The newer Boss DS-1's sound like ice picks in your ear unless you get it modded by Keeley or Analogman - I have one with the Keeley mod and it kicked the crap out of my old one.

I highly recommend the Line 6 DM-4 - you can score those for a decent price on Ebay.

BTW, my JMP-1 is for sale in the classified - to be honest I think it's kinda thin for rhythm stuff - decent for leads though. YMMV.

- Newc

Comment

What kind of amp are you using???

Comment

I got an old Marshall Amp the VS65R, and for guitars I have a Jackson SL2H with duncans and an ESP MH400NT with EMG`s but I`m going to change them for a Dimarzio`s Superdistortion and a PAF PRO.

Comment

If you use the gain on the amp then you should look at a Boss GE-7 to shape your sound more like Maiden's.
                            If you plan on using the clean channel of your amp I would suggest the Line 6 DM-4 or the Korg 411FX.

Comment

If you consider a pedal EQ like the ge-7, definitely check out the behringer ripoff of it (the eq700). I bought one last week and am now wondering how I lasted so many years without using an eq pedal.

Comment

Working...
                              X