MXR Distortion +

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: MXR Distortion +

I had an MXR+ and loved it. I managed to get a very killer Piece Of Mind era sound through it, my Model 3 and - yer all gonna laugh now - my Gorilla GG-60 amp! I'm fucking serious, it was almost spot on! The Gorilla's are made by Pignose and it was just a cheap little practice amp but it had ballz!
    THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
      I had an MXR+ and loved it. I managed to get a very killer Piece Of Mind era sound through it, my Model 3 and - yer all gonna laugh now - my Gorilla GG-60 amp! I'm fucking serious, it was almost spot on! The Gorilla's are made by Pignose and it was just a cheap little practice amp but it had ballz!

[/ QUOTE ]

You just lost a ton of respect with that reply! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]

You just lost a ton of respect with that reply! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I was thinking that right after I submitted the post! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
        THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
          [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I was thinking that right after I submitted the post! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

My first amp was a GC-35. Put it this way, I was so green, I didn't know guitars had to be tuned (just string it up and go, right?) [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

I still have the GC-35, but it's guts have been ripped out and now it's a micro 2203 with a 3 watt power section. All tube, and much better.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
            The MXR Distortion + came out when there were a lot of solid state amps floating around - I thought they were great with my old Acoustic 134 solid state 4x10 amp. I think they sound like shit into a tube amp personally.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the exact opposite is true. I own an older unit (post script, pre LED) that sounds decent through almost any tube amp that I've used it with, but I have yet to find a solid state amp that it matches up to well. It gets way too buzzy and harsh with ss amps. Overall, I'm not a huge fan of this pedal but I do keep one around for certain tonal colors.

That said, I too think Randy's tone was OK but not great. He used a script logo which sounds much different than the later Distortion +'s. They typically had a bit less gain than the newer units and better dynamic response, although were somewhat "thinner" sounding IMO.

Comment

I guess I`m between the Boss DS-1 Mod and the Ibanez Tube Screamer, a few years I had the Tube Screamer but I was looking for another sound. I think I can use the Tube Screamer in front of my Amp Distortion.

Comment

One of the few pieces of gear I've owned is the DM4 and I can not reccomend it. It sounded like crap no matter what, and I tweaked the hell out if it. It was very digital and buzzy sounding, and I went into it with no prejudices against line 6 or modelers. The response of it was like the guitar's volume was down and it wasn't getting enough signal, even when the volume was maxed. I thought it was pure crap.

Comment

Working...
                X