Moving - Need to buy some stuff

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moving - Need to buy some stuff

So in January I'm probably going to be moving to a tiny single dorm room where I will presumably not be able to crank my Soldano Astroverb up to a reasonable volume. I'm trying to find ways around this that won't suck but I'd like some advice. Here are some options I'm contemplating:

1 - Dump the Soldano and get a PODXTLive, GNX4 or something like that run to stereo system
    2 - Dump the Soldano and get an ss amp like Tech21, Line6, Roland combo amp
    3 - Dump the Soldano and buy a THD Univalve with built-in attenuator
    4 - Keep the Soldano and buy/build an attenuator for it
    5 - Keep the Soldano and build an enclosure that will act as a physical attenuator (it's a 1x12 so this would not be too huge)

I will mostly just be playing this in my room for fun and recording some stuff when I have time. I probably will not be playing out with a band more than 2-3 shows a year so being gig-worthy is not a concern. What do you guys think? I'm really torn as all of the options have a certain appeal

Re: Moving - Need to buy some stuff

I would keep the Soldano and buy a cheap modeller or something like a spider II 15..

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
      I would keep the Soldano and buy a cheap modeller or something like a spider II 15..

[/ QUOTE ]

+1 unless you are want to get rid of the soldano

Comment

Buy a smokey!!!
        Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

Keep the Soldano and buy a Roland Cube 30

Comment

Keep the Soldano and buy a Vamp2 for college? $99 at most stores. Even the Pro is only $179 new.

Comment

I think it comes down to how long you figure you'll be in a situation where you can't crank up the amp. If it's for the better part of the next 4 years then there's no point in keeping the amp - it is easy enough to replace in 4 years. OTH, if you're anticipating moving into a situation where you can crank sooner then go with the V-Amp or score a used POD on Ebay.
              I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                I think it comes down to how long you figure you'll be in a situation where you can't crank up the amp. If it's for the better part of the next 4 years then there's no point in keeping the amp - it is easy enough to replace in 4 years. OTH, if you're anticipating moving into a situation where you can crank sooner then go with the V-Amp or score a used POD on Ebay.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's going to be at least 3 years, maybe many more if I decide to do a PhD program. That's why I'm looking at something more permanent. It seems silly to keep a nice amp to use twice a year

Comment

i say keep the amp, store it or whatever. why... because that shit is expensive and one day you might regret selling it when you can't afford a new one when you need. it.

i say buy a roland micro cube. that little bugger is one of the best living room practice amps i've ever heard. it has a direct out and a small speaker with delay and reverb (the 2 most essential effects) chorus and flange. its only 15 watts wich is great for a dorm room. and it still maintains that "big" sound at any volume.
                  Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                    Keep the Soldano and buy a Roland Cube 30

[/ QUOTE ]
                    +1 roland cube's rock [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]
                    Guitars... Rhoads RX10D
                    Amp... Pioneer
                    Effects... Boss ME-20

Comment

Keep the amp. If you start gigging or even just jamming with friends at a more suitable jam location, you'll regret ditching it!

Comment

Working...
                      X