Dumble amps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dumble amps

Ok what's the deal with these amps? I've never played with those myself but I know that many players are worshipping Dumbles. They say that those amps are great for Sanata's and Eric Johnson's tones and they sound similar to Boogies. Also I should robb the Fort Knox to buy one. I think I would like these amps. Any JCFers who have played/owned Dumble(s)? What's your opinion about those?
    "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Re: Dumble amps

Yuo are correct on all parts except robbing Fort Knox. You need to OWN Fort Knox. Guys wait years to get one.

Comment

Eric used a Dumble on the Tones record...but I do not think he uses it anymore. I think he used the Steel String Singer model, if I remember correctly.

They are incredibly expensive and take forever to get..IF Dumble will make one for you. I have heard that it is quite difficult to get one if you aren't special.

Never played one, never seen one. I do know this though, the model on my V-Amp Pro that is supposed to replicate a Dumble is terrible. If the real amp sounds anything like that model (and I am sure it does not), I would be very pissed.

Mike
      Sleep. The sound doesn't collapse to riffs of early eyes either.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]

Never played one, never seen one. I do know this though, the model on my V-Amp Pro that is supposed to replicate a Dumble is terrible.

Mike

[/ QUOTE ]

I was about to make that comment [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

+1. The Dumble model is aweful.

Comment

I played a real one in a friends studio years ago. They are a great sounding amp but not worth the $ IMO. It didn't have nearly as much gain as a Boogie, but more than a stock Fender. Sounded somewhat Fenderish but a bit darker and smoother. The cool thing to me was the fantastic sustain with a lower gain tone, unlike anything else I had ever played. Great for rock, blues, and fusion but definitely not a metal amp without a pedal, although I've heard that some models have more gain (overdrive special?).
            Unless you have celebrity status, Harry most likely will not sell you an amp. His backlog was 2 years (in '99, the last time I checked) and he is very difficult to talk to...not a friendly person. And the last time I saw a used Dumble head, the asking price was 12K.
            Two amps that I have played that sound very close to the Dumble are the Fuch's Overdrive Supreme (very close to a Dumble clone but with more gain on tap) and the 6L6 version of the Bogner Shiva.
            Two-Rock also makes Dumble clones for much less money than the real deal (still expensive though) but I have never played one so I can't comment on their tone.

Comment

thanks Rupe
              "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

SRV used them too.

Comment

check out this auction that the seller stopped early (backdoor deal?). All I can say is that that's some serious coin for a combo.

http://cgi.ebay.com/A-Rare-Dumble-100w-O...1QQcmdZViewItem
                  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKgPY1adc0A

Comment

I'm sorry, but for $20,000 an amp better come with a stripper at my disposal for a year. That is fucking nuts. NO amp sounds good enough to justify that price, NONE.

Mike
                    Sleep. The sound doesn't collapse to riffs of early eyes either.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                      I'm sorry, but for $20,000 an amp better come with a stripper at my disposal for a year. That is fucking nuts. NO amp sounds good enough to justify that price, NONE.

Mike

[/ QUOTE ]
                      only for a year?
                      You can't play no muthfuggin' arpeggios on a tuba...

Comment

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Dumble-Overdrive-S...1QQcmdZViewItem

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                          http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Dumble-Overdrive-S...1QQcmdZViewItem

[/ QUOTE ]

BIN of about $30k!!! [img]/images/graemlins/eek.gif[/img]
                          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKgPY1adc0A

Comment

I know a couple amp techs that have had there hands in some celeb owned Dumbles - they both said the things sounded amazing but were an absolute mess inside.
                            I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

lol yeahh,tone is a personal thing anyway-it might sound like a sack of shit when others play it.So many good amps out there(soldano/marshal/)for a lot better price and they have great tone too [img]/images/graemlins/drool2.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                              X