Marshall combo tube amps?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Marshall combo tube amps?

Sorry to bring up this old post, b ut no sense in opening a new one.

Differences in tone between JCM800 and JCM900 1/2x12 combos? I have played a 1x12 800 combo, sounded nice and LOUD I am wondering just why the JCM900s seem to be cheaper than 800s.

Thanks!

ps- looking for a hard rock gain; AC/DC, sabbath, G'n'R.

Comment

IMO the 900 series are thinner sounding but have more gain than the 800's. I much prefer the 800 to the 900...if I need a gain boost, I'll use a pedal. They just have more balls.

Comment

ThorK,

I was playing my DSL100 Orange Crunch 1/2 stack last night. Great tone for playing the bands you mentioned. You need to add Iron Maiden to the list as well. Only problem - LOUD.

I get a very good tone from my Micro Stack for Sabbath and Maiden (anything higher gain), but it fails for AC/DC, G&R, and classic Def Leppard. You need tubes for those tones to get that "musical" breakup vs. transistor buzzsaw.

Comment

I'd go with 5150 combo. you can get them on EBay for a good
          price, they have a closed back and more gain than you'd
          ever know what to do with.
          I a/b'ed mine against a Marshall JCM 900 hi gain 100 watt combo
          and it f'n destroyed it. Not even close. And you can EQ it to sound "Marshall" enough to satisfy the need for a marshall type of sound. just throw in some JJ's and an EQ in the loop, and you're good to go!
          If this is our perdition, will you walk with me?

Comment

Don- I don't have any problem with being loud, I had a 350watt solid state amp I bummed off a friend for a while with a 4x12 marshall cab, pretty loud. Whats the dsl100 orange crunch?

kmanick- 5150, made by peavey right? did not know they were tube-powered (be gentle! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img])
            Can you tell me any more about it? You say it can achieve the ac/dc crunch and g'n'r type of gainy crunch?

I'll have to look into that one, thanks!

Comment

5150 all tube , the loudest f'n 60 watts you will ever hear. [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]
              5 12Ax7' and 2 6l6 Power tubes.
              Since I retubed mine with JJ's I can get this.

1. rhythm channel Blues to classic rock crunch.
              2. rhythm with crunch on . classic crunch all the way to
              Megadeth crunch and Van Halen crunch. turn the gain to about 6 and it's Ac/DC time.
              3. Lead Channel. most over the top gain you will ever need. [img]/images/graemlins/eek.gif[/img]
              I have mine set with the gain on 7 and I use it just for leads, as I mostly play on the rhythm channel with the
              crunch on and the gain dimed.
              I love this thing, it's like a Marshall on steroids..with roid rage! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
              If this is our perdition, will you walk with me?

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                Don- I don't have any problem with being loud, I had a 350watt solid state amp I bummed off a friend for a while with a 4x12 marshall cab, pretty loud. Whats the dsl100 orange crunch?

[/ QUOTE ]

sorry for the auction link - I don't have pictures right now of mine. He has a flash on in these pictures - in real life it's not cream-orange, it's orange, like and orange [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...A%3AIT&rd=1

To get classic metal crunch, I dime the clean channel and punch the OD button. The lead is good as well, but if you can get ugly sounds (mud/crap) if you dime everything with high output pickups. I was playing all three of my Les Pauls through it the other night - sounds great even though each has very different pickups. Through my microstack, I only like the tone of my R0.

Comment

kmanick- sounds very good, there's only one that i can find on ebay right now, a bit out of my range until next paycheck at least.

Don- haha that orange is awesome! it's just a regular DSL100 right, with a different color?

nice!

Comment

Oh, anybody tell me what's up with this?

http://cgi.ebay.com/1987-MARSHALL-SILVER...1QQcmdZViewItem

It's tiny, but it's only 12 watts and says will power a 4x12? Interesting... all tube?

Pretty vague description [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] Wondering if anyone knows more about it. I could definitely get this... Thanks!

Comment

I believe so, but it's definitely got Drake (vs. Dagnall) transformers.

Comment

Oh... meaning? [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] (noob!)

Comment

I have the 4x12 already, so maybe this is a good buy for me?

Comment

[ QUOTE ]

It's tiny, but it's only 12 watts and says will power a 4x12? Interesting... all tube?

Pretty vague description [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] Wondering if anyone knows more about it. I could definitely get this... Thanks!

[/ QUOTE ]

All tube? Ha ha ha...try No tube! This is a 12 watt solid state preactice amp that came with two mini 1x10 cabs to make a mini stack. This same head was also avalible as a 1x10 combo amp as the Lead 12 and the Reverb 12.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                              [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

All tube? Ha ha ha...try No tube! This is a 12 watt solid state preactice amp that came with two mini 1x10 cabs to make a mini stack. This same head was also avalible as a 1x10 combo amp as the Lead 12 and the Reverb 12.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have that cobmo - Silver Jubilee Micro Stack and it rocks, not like the DSL100, however. Great for the bedroom with the gain full up. I read Billy Gibbons used one of these with a G12H-100 speaker open back to record "Recycler".

I actually have three Microstacks, and I found the older ones with only "one output" in the front sound best. They came out with a "two output on the front" but sound like they tamed it down. I haven't tried one of the newer ones with reverb / CD in / swiss army knife.

One of my three (the Plexi green one) is being transformed into a tube head. 2203 front end with a single EL84 power tube. Not enough room and too much heat for an 18 watter.

Comment

OK I got another question:
                                do tube amps have to be turned up loud for sufficent gain to be introduced? most of my playing is at home, and I have a solid state Crate that provides gain at lower volume levels. would I just be screwing myself getting a tube combo based on it having to be turned up loud to get the drenched distortion sound we all want?

(thanks, this tube stuff is totally new to me)
                                the guitar players look damaged - they've been outcasts all their lives

Comment

Working...
                                X