Marshall combo tube amps?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marshall combo tube amps?

does Marshall make a combo tube amp? if so, what would be the model info on that? it's hard to tell from their website which combos are tube and which are solid state.

what do you guys think of their Valvestate stuff? they call that a hybrid, what does that mean in practicality, in terms of what's powering the amp?

thanks for any info guys. [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]
    the guitar players look damaged - they've been outcasts all their lives

Re: Marshall combo tube amps?

Anything with JCM in the name is tube I think ie JCM2000TSL602 I think is a model number for one of the tube combos. General opinion is to buy a used old one though (JCM800 as opposed to JCM2000)

Comment

Valvestate is a hybrid, which means it's got a tube in the preamp section (some models may have two tubes) and solid state power amp.
      There's also some other amps (older Peavey models come to mind) that are hybrid but the opposite with a tube power section and solid state preamp.
      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

thanks guys.

what do you guys think of those hybrids and how do they sound? any limitations to those?

Comment

I think the valvestate combo's are dated, but still cool. Nice chorus. They can be had for very good prices used now.

Comment

The first Valvestates that came out in the early '90s were really cool, but a little limiting. I've still got my 8240 2x12 stereo chorus model down in my basement that I play once in awhile. It's essentially two channels with four different modes with the clean/crunch switch on the first channel and OD1/OD2 on the second channel, but they're only accessible from the front panel, same with the reverb. The footswitches are for changing from one channel to the next and chorus, but not being able to access the other modes like the newer updated Valvestates is kind of a drag. It still sounds pretty good, though.
            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

yeah, the old ones are pretty much for clean/dirty, or rhythm/lead.

Comment

man even the combo tube Marshalls are fuckall expensive. I shoulda figured as much.

OK, just have to plan and save up. I currently have a 1989 80 watt Crate solid-state 1x12, so I'd want the twin Marshall tube combo as the logical next step up.

my old Crate is heavy as fuck for not being all that large dimension-wise.

Comment

Get a carvin X series tube combo (X50b or X60) you should be able to find one for $250 with a 12" celestion or similar.
                  When you take a shower in space, you have to press the water onto your body to clean yourself, and then you gotta vacuum it off. - Ace Frehley

Comment

I'm not so sure I'd want to get a Marshall Combo. My first Marshall was a 4140 "Town and Country" 100watt 2x12" from 1979 that I bought at a pawn shop for $300 (in 1990?). Had GT 6L6's in it that were getting really cooked.

Obviously I had no clue as to what I was buying (the Marshall equal of a Fender Twin, and I play Metal?), totally wrong output tubes. But the main thing is, in order to get a Marshall sound, I believe you must have a closed back (unless you are playing Clapton Bluesbreaker stuff).

I think Laney had a better idea. My AOR50 Combo has a sealed cab (1x12).

And what happened to my 4140? It's getting retro-fitted as a Clapton Bluesbreaker combo (18watts = lighter than the 45watt version). I'll use the 100watt power trannies for another Marshall experiment.

Comment

I had a JCM 900 combo and it sounded every bit like it should, like a Marshall with a ton of gain. I loved that amp, although I see that I am in the minority with the 900. They can be picked up for a good price on E-Bay if you look.

Mike
                      Sleep. The sound doesn't collapse to riffs of early eyes either.

Comment

I'll second the suggestion for the Laney AOR50 combo.

Comment

I've used Marshall TSL122 (2x12 combo) and quite happy with it. It is still my main amp, along with a Mark IV combo. Would recommend to try it.
                          Alex

Comment

thanks for all the feedback boys, I do appreciate it!

yeah I want an amp with high gain that can do metal, and I'm sorta stuck on Marshall, though, cause, well.... it's Marshall. can't help it.. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

I am playing metal as well as instrumental rock. The TSL has more than enough gain for this, I don't go over 4pm on the lead channel. More realistically it is sitting at 2-3pm if any kind of volume involved. Crunch channel is a great alternative to the lead with a help of of a tubescreamer - you get two different gain structures, your call.
                              The only other option I discovered so far is the Soldano's SLO or Decatone.
                              Alex

Comment

Working...
                              X