X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Marshall combo tube amps?

[ QUOTE ]
    OK I got another question:
    do tube amps have to be turned up loud for sufficent gain to be introduced? most of my playing is at home, and I have a solid state Crate that provides gain at lower volume levels. would I just be screwing myself getting a tube combo based on it having to be turned up loud to get the drenched distortion sound we all want?

(thanks, this tube stuff is totally new to me)

[/ QUOTE ]

Tube amps with a master volume and/or gain knob will give you full blown distortion at bedroom levels. The JCM900 will go pure liquid on the lowest levels.

However, the get the BEST tube tone, you need to get the power tubes cooking. That means volume. You can always attenuate them down and run them wide open.

Mike
    Sleep. The sound doesn't collapse to riffs of early eyes either.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
      OK I got another question:
      do tube amps have to be turned up loud for sufficent gain to be introduced? most of my playing is at home, and I have a solid state Crate that provides gain at lower volume levels. would I just be screwing myself getting a tube combo based on it having to be turned up loud to get the drenched distortion sound we all want?

(thanks, this tube stuff is totally new to me)

[/ QUOTE ]
      yes and no (how's that for a definitive answer [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] )

if you play mostly high gain metal stuff (mostly preamp gain), then a tube amp _with a good master volume_ will work fine.

Comment

B-52 AT-100 212 combo sounds great at low volumes,and it sounds pretty f'n good when you turn it up!
        I actually use that one at home when I'm practicing late at night.
        The 5150 is really loud, even on 2 it's gets loud, so I use
        that when it's cool to turn it up or I run them in stereo when nobody is home. They sound great together! [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]
        If this is our perdition, will you walk with me?

Comment

Power tube distortion sounds great. Speaker distortion as well.

Even with the micro stacks (solid state), it sounds really good with the master at 12 noon (crankin'). The speakers can't sing very good if they don't get enough power. Also the rooms natural reverb starts kicking in.

I guess everything sounds better louder LOL!

Comment

Damn, was hoping it was tube hehe. But it's still a pretty cool little item.

Thanks for all the information to everyone.

Skorb- I never knew much about tube amps either hehe.

Comment

gotta learn sometime, yo? the wonder of the internet certainly cuts the learning curve with instant access to good information from cool people.

well fuck then I gotta get me a Marshall tube 2x12 at some point. I think for now finances (with xmas and a vacation hurting my wallet bigtime!) will dictate I just juice up my existing amp (80 watt Crate 1x12) with a pedal or two.

my Crate is also very loud, I had it up to 3 today and it was all I could handle in the room I play in. my ears still feel it. but outside would be different. still, it is 80 watts.
              the guitar players look damaged - they've been outcasts all their lives

Comment

Working...
              X