Scored a Splawn Quick Rod

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scored a Splawn Quick Rod

I got a 2004 Splawn QR in yesterday and so far its a killer hot rodded Marshall amp tone. It a loud sumbitch (Mullard EL-34's) even in 1/2 power mode. Its an older one that looks like a plexi w/ shared EQ's for each channel and a MM xformer. Anyone here have one these? I played it for a couple hours with 2 different 4x12's, a VHT w/ P50E's and Bogner with V30's. I liked better with the V30's. The amp has a lot of treble and it was a bit shrill sounding with the VHT. I was able to get killer rhythm tones right away but need to do some tweaking to find a good balance between the rythm and lead tone with the boosts.

I have a Splawn cab that I got off eBay on the way that has Emmemince Guv'nors and Man O War's in an X pattern. I hope it sounds as good with that cab as it does with the Bogner V30 cab.

If you guys like hot rodded Marshall tone...check out Splawn.
    shawnlutz.com

Re: Scored a Splawn Quick Rod

+1 on Splawn. I drove my 1987x over there for Scott to mod - good stuff. It only does one sound but it does it extremely well.
    I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

yep, my Splawn is killer too. Does the brite crunchy thing very well.

john

Comment

Hey Shawn, let me know what you think of the Splawn cabs. I am really up in the air about either getting the Splawn x pattern or going with the Bogner uber cab. I never heard the Emminence speakers and dont know if I will dig them.

Comment

i sold my cobra and i think i want a splawn next.

Comment

So what's the story with this guy - former Marshall employee or just "some guy" who mods Marshalls finally made a name doing it? [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]
            I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Newc, Scott Splawn is a hell of a great guy. I have dealt with him twice, and he is a stand up guy. I am more into the Cameron mods but his stuff is really great. He is more into the EV tone. I am really thinking of picking up his x-pattern cab. He just retolexed my Cameron JMP and they do great work.

Comment

Well, I mean besides that [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                Hobbyist-turned-"pro" or "former-amp-company-guy-turned-boutique"?

I'm not all that "up" on amps and available mods - I'm more racks-n-programming [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

Comment

will do Paul. I never played through a Splawn cab before so I'm equally curious [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] It will have to be pretty good to top the Bogner cab I have...not the uber but the one with 4 v30's. You can't gp wrong with those cabs imho..
                  shawnlutz.com

Comment

From what I know he is just some guy that started his own amp company and is getting some sales. The thing with all these mods is they are in one day and out the next. Scotts mods are cool and he is constantly improving on them.

Comment

http://www.splawnguitars.com/index.htm
                      shawnlutz.com

Comment

I'm thinking of sending my Marshall 1987X to him to get the mods. Has anyone got the 3 foot button (extra $150), or just stayed with the basic 2 button mod?
                        Yea, Scotts great. I bought my first Jackson him.
                        Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

He has a small shop too. Local NC guy, very cool.

Comment

So assuming this guy takes off like a rocket one day and becomes the next Mike Soldano or Jim Marshall, should I be looking to grab anything of his (original or mod) to sock away for my retirement fund? [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

does Cameron have a web site?
                              how are his mods different? these are the 2 names I see all
                              over the place (besides voodoo) for mods on Marshalls.
                              If this is our perdition, will you walk with me?

Comment

Working...
                              X