Need some amp advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need some amp advice

Okay, first of all: i haven't got alot of experience with amps. My amp now is a Marshall MG30DFX, i use it with a Boss ME50. I play mostly classic rock in a coverband, some of the songs we play to give you an idea: Cream-Strange Brew, Let's have a party, Deep purple-Black night, Lenny Kravitz-are you gonna go my way, Pearl Jam-Alive, Jimi Hendrix-Purple Haze, Metallica-For whom the bell tolls, Bryan Adams-Run to You, Hotel California ...
    So i need something quite versatile(it offcourse doesn't have to emulate those tones perfectly, just has to sound good in those kind of songs) I'd like it to be an all tube amp too. AND i'm on a budget too [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
    I've been thinking about the Fender hot rod deville 410 (I've tested that one, and on lower to mid volumes it sounded better to me than a Mesa Boogie Nomad) But now i see an Engl Screamer 50Watt Combo and a Mesa Boogie F30 (both for 800 Euros untill now) on ebay for cheaper than the fender. Are those worth it to go test them in my case?
    Thanks

Re: Need some amp advice

Do you have the means to play as much as you can at music stores around? You should try out whatever you can get your hands on vs listening to what people on a guitar forum tell ya [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

30 watts may not be enough for for larger venues (debatable). What size clubs do you play in and do you mic a cab? I haven't played the Screamer but it looks like it could be versatile enough. Keep in mind if you buy a head you'll need a cab [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

check out some clips from http://www.rocksolidamps.com/sounds.php
    shawnlutz.com

Comment

well it's a one hours drive to a music store where i can test a reasonable amount of amps. It's probably best to go and test some more over there. Size of clubs are small, well over here there aren't many real clubs we mostly play bars/little festivals, I don't mic a cab. My marshall is 30 watts too and not quite loud enough, it can get louder but then it starts to sound bad. Then again, it isn't a tube amp either. also i don't like to push the marshall too much with the ME50 in front of it, don't want to blow it up or anything.
      Thanks for your quick response !

Comment

I think any of those amps that you mentioned would work well for your situation. I've never played the ENGL so I can't comment on specifics regarding it, but I have played the other two. I think you will find a glassier, chimier clean tone from the Fender whereas the Mesa will be a bit darker and more "flat" sounding. On the other hand, the Mesa has a smoother, more compressed dirty tone than the Fender, which is a bit more ragged and edgy sounding and thinner overall.
        Personally I typically prefer a great clean tone over a dirty tone if my amp needs to cover the entire spectrum, as I can still get my dirty tone from a wide variety of pedals to suit my needs. If an amp has a lame clean tone, not much is going to make it better.

Comment

That makes sence. Has anyone used the ME50? I'm not to happy with the distortion models in it and i was wondering if the models in it sound different than the individual, original pedals (eg OD-1, OD-2 ...)

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
            That makes sence. Has anyone used the ME50? I'm not to happy with the distortion models in it and i was wondering if the models in it sound different than the individual, original pedals (eg OD-1, OD-2 ...)

[/ QUOTE ]

Personaly if i was you and you can find some, i would look at the older mesa caliber series, you can usually get a DC5 for about 500 or 600 USA dollars and they would fit you fine for your style of music.

Other amps i would look at, in that same price range would be a marshall JCM900 SLX head which is all tube.

With that being said, with the ME50 are you using it for distortion sounds? If so i would suggest bringing it to a music shop and just plugging it into a power amp into a speaker cab, you would be surprized how much better that ME50 will sound through a true tube power amp.

I am also not sure if you are looking for a head or a combo.

Todd

Comment

Yes i'm using the ME50 for distortion sounds. I'm mainly looking for a combo for its portability. Problem with finding amps second hand is that they jump up far less over here in europe.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                Yes i'm using the ME50 for distortion sounds. I'm mainly looking for a combo for its portability. Problem with finding amps second hand is that they jump up far less over here in europe.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you are gonna keep using the ME50 then i would suggest finding a good combo with a good effects loops and just put the ME50 in the return of the effects loops. They sound better that way then going in front of the preamp section. I might also suggest some of the line 6 flextone 2 combos, i know you said all tube, but for what you need they will be the most verstile for you, sound the most like a tube head and be perfect for what you need.

Comment

Yeah i'm familiar with the flexstones, the other guitarist in my band uses a III and a friend of mine has a II. They don't sound bad at all, but if i'm gonna invest in a new amp, I'd rather have something a little more warm sounding.
                  I always thought the distortion should be put infront of the amp and not in the effects loop? So when put in the effects loop, i could still use all other effects on it too, that would be real nice.
                  thanks

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                    Yeah i'm familiar with the flexstones, the other guitarist in my band uses a III and a friend of mine has a II. They don't sound bad at all, but if i'm gonna invest in a new amp, I'd rather have something a little more warm sounding.
                    I always thought the distortion should be put infront of the amp and not in the effects loop? So when put in the effects loop, i could still use all other effects on it too, that would be real nice.
                    thanks

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah basically you would be using the ME50 as the preamp section of the amp, yeah you can use the ME50 in front of the preamp section, but you would have to flat EQ it and the preamp section is gonna color the sound, so it is up to you.

Comment

I suggest that the Carvin Legacy combo or head with a wide body 1x12 cab would be perfect for what you are looking for.

Comment

Working...
                      X