Mesa Stiletto Deuce review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mesa Stiletto Deuce review

Well, this came via UPS(thanks again Rupe!) on Thursday night and I finaly gat a chance to sit down with it to see what it could do. Mind you, I just spent an hour with it so I do need to do way more tweaking, but I wanted to post this review while it was still fresh in my mind. I also think first impressions are the most accurate (unless it's a Mark III [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img])

I have the Stiletto going through a Mesa Recto traditional 4x12 with V30s. For guitars I used an SLATQH with an SD Custom 5 in the bridge and my new PC-1 with a Dimarzio super 3 in the bridge.

<font color="red"> If you already know what this amp has as far as features or don't care, you can skip this paragraph. </font>

This amp is full of bells and whistles I guess it's basic purpose is to compete with the traditional british/Marshall sound by way of EL34s. The Deuce is 100 watts (vs the 150 watt Trident Stiletto). It's a two channel amp with each channel having the ability to be switched down to 50 watts. Each channel has the standard volume, high, mid, bass, presence and gain. The gain channel has a three way mini toggle to switch between crunch, tite and fluid drive gain. The clean channel has the same type of switch, but the options are fat bottom, tite clean and cruch, Each channel also has the ability to switch between silicon diods or Rectifier tube tracking. I haven't used the silicon diod mode as of yet. There is also a switch on the front panel for bold or spongy. The spongy option just reduces the internal voltage kind of like a variac, but it's not adjustable. I left it on Bold for now.

How does it sound? Well, I've heard this amp described as a modded Marshall. I don't know about that, but it definitly has that EL34 sound. It's still a Boogie though. Between a rectifier and a Marshall, it's a lot closer to a Marshall. That being said, I can see whay the die hard Marshall guys don't like it. As much as it has that british 80's tone, it's still has the feel of a boogie. It's kinda hard to describe.

The clean channel is absolutely the best I've ever heard from a high gain tube head. It's unbelievable. It's tight and bell like, but you can push it by switching to the crunch mode for a nice overdriven Gibbons type tone. This is the best thing about this amp for for me so far. My rectifier's clean was almost unusable for good clean tones. The Stiletto shines here.

The gain channel took a little tweaking to get a good tone out of. I took Rupes advice and started with the factory suggested settings. Working from there I got a real decent tone. I was looking for a Lynch type tone. The crunh mode is great for older british tones like AC/DC or Aerosmith. I like the tite mode the best as it has the strong mid high gain 80's sound. The fluid drive mode is really only great for leads. It's kind of like having the neck pickup on. It's almost compressed. I wish this was footswitch selectable as I would use it all the time for leads.

How does it compare to the rectifier? It doesn't. It's apples and oranges. The rectifier is good at what it does. The Stiletto is more flexible, but only as far as you would expect EL34 amp to sound. It does 80's tones great as well as classic rock, but you'll need something to push it in front if you are looking for modern or heavier type gain, but thats a givin. I have to say that my SLATQH with a Custom 5 in the bridge liked this amp better than the PC-1 with a Super 3 did. That was the opposite with my rectifier. I'm not going to go pickup swapping, it's not like that, but side by side, the custom 5 gave it more of an organic feel. The super 3 worked better with the rectifier because it's a darker pickup.

Do I like? Yes I do, but I've always been a Boogie person. I still need more time with this amp, but my first impression is that it's a pretty damn good head and I like it. After dialing it in by itself, it will be time to plug in the g-major and play around with the parametric eq.

Stay tuned...........
    "My G-Major can blow me!" - Bill

Re: Mesa Stiletto Deuce review

Not my intention to hijack the thread, just wanted to say that we've got both Duece and Trident Stiletto's in stock if anyone is interested.

Now we return to our regular programming. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Matt's Music Center
    35 Pleasant St
    Weymouth MA 02190 USA
    781-335-0700
    www.mattsmusic.com
    Special deals for JCF members on Jackson/Charvel, Suhr, Anderson, Nash, Splawn, Bogner, LSL, Ibanez, Diezel, Friedman, Bad Cat, 3rd Power, Dr. Z, ENGL and more. FREE SHIPPING! 0% FINANCING!

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
      Well, this came via UPS(thanks again Rupe!) on Thursday night and I finaly gat a chance to sit down with it to see what it could do. Mind you, I just spent an hour with it so I do need to do way more tweaking, but I wanted to post this review while it was still fresh in my mind. I also think first impressions are the most accurate (unless it's a Mark III [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img])

I have the Stiletto going through a Mesa Recto traditional 4x12 with V30s. For guitars I used an SLATQH with an SD Custom 5 in the bridge and my new PC-1 with a Dimarzio super 3 in the bridge.

<font color="red"> If you already know what this amp has as far as features or don't care, you can skip this paragraph. </font>

This amp is full of bells and whistles I guess it's basic purpose is to compete with the traditional british/Marshall sound by way of EL34s. The Deuce is 100 watts (vs the 150 watt Trident Stiletto). It's a two channel amp with each channel having the ability to be switched down to 50 watts. Each channel has the standard volume, high, mid, bass, presence and gain. The gain channel has a three way mini toggle to switch between crunch, tite and fluid drive gain. The clean channel has the same type of switch, but the options are fat bottom, tite clean and cruch, Each channel also has the ability to switch between silicon diods or Rectifier tube tracking. I haven't used the silicon diod mode as of yet. There is also a switch on the front panel for bold or spongy. The spongy option just reduces the internal voltage kind of like a variac, but it's not adjustable. I left it on Bold for now.

How does it sound? Well, I've heard this amp described as a modded Marshall. I don't know about that, but it definitly has that EL34 sound. It's still a Boogie though. Between a rectifier and a Marshall, it's a lot closer to a Marshall. That being said, I can see whay the die hard Marshall guys don't like it. As much as it has that british 80's tone, it's still has the feel of a boogie. It's kinda hard to describe.

The clean channel is absolutely the best I've ever heard from a high gain tube head. It's unbelievable. It's tight and bell like, but you can push it by switching to the crunch mode for a nice overdriven Gibbons type tone. This is the best thing about this amp for for me so far. My rectifier's clean was almost unusable for good clean tones. The Stiletto shines here.

The gain channel took a little tweaking to get a good tone out of. I took Rupes advice and started with the factory suggested settings. Working from there I got a real decent tone. I was looking for a Lynch type tone. The crunh mode is great for older british tones like AC/DC or Aerosmith. I like the tite mode the best as it has the strong mid high gain 80's sound. The fluid drive mode is really only great for leads. It's kind of like having the neck pickup on. It's almost compressed. I wish this was footswitch selectable as I would use it all the time for leads.

How does it compare to the rectifier? It doesn't. It's apples and oranges. The rectifier is good at what it does. The Stiletto is more flexible, but only as far as you would expect EL34 amp to sound. It does 80's tones great as well as classic rock, but you'll need something to push it in front if you are looking for modern or heavier type gain, but thats a givin. I have to say that my SLATQH with a Custom 5 in the bridge liked this amp better than the PC-1 with a Super 3 did. That was the opposite with my rectifier. I'm not going to go pickup swapping, it's not like that, but side by side, the custom 5 gave it more of an organic feel. The super 3 worked better with the rectifier because it's a darker pickup.

Do I like? Yes I do, but I've always been a Boogie person. I still need more time with this amp, but my first impression is that it's a pretty damn good head and I like it. After dialing it in by itself, it will be time to plug in the g-major and play around with the parametric eq.

Stay tuned...........

[/ QUOTE ]

That was my same impression, not realy a marshall but getting there. I did enjoy the amp, but putting it up to my marshall JCM800 there was just not comparison. Good luck with the amp.

Comment

I found I could dial it in to sound almost EXACTLY like my 800's and JMP's. It is a tweakers amp and I believe it takes a while to get the most out of it as there are many different interactions to work through.
        Jim - try the ss rectifier for your metal tones (with the bold setting)...it is much tighter than the tube mode and better for that style. Tube rectification and the spongy mode work better for classic rock and blues.
        I hope you enjoy the amp Jim...feel free to contact me if you would like to discuss anything while tweaking...I'll be glad to share settings and suggestions.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
          try the ss rectifier for your metal tones

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats kinda what I figured. They way I see it is, it's not going to sound like Rectifier unless you push it with something. Thats fine though because it's not a Rectifier. You can get closer to the Marshall tones (IMO) than the rectifiers which is what it's supposed to do. Look at it this way, it sounds Marshallesque, but responds more like a Mark III. Does that make sense?

Comment

That definitely makes sense. I can't comment on the response as I haven't played a Mark III since the 80's, but the Stiletto does have a more versatile build which will really allow you to dial in the response. The combination of gain, bold/spongy, and rectifier types allows you to go from a very Marshallesque response (as well as tone) to more of a Boogie feel but with a gutsier, british type tone. And the clean tones are unparalleled by any other Marshall or Mesa IMO.
            I'm sure there are some who may disagree with that, but they would all be wrong [img]/images/graemlins/poke.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

" Look at it this way, it sounds Marshallesque, but responds more like a Mark III."

sounds kickass. now i want to try one [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
              rupe, does it do thrash metal? the whole jcm800 thing was THE thrash metal sound of the 80s, i wonder if the stiletto can cover this, too? or is it more like a rock or classic metal amp?

Comment

Jim, how do you think it will pair up with my Soldano?? From your description... our band might have the best dual guitar sound on the planet!

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                  the whole jcm800 thing was THE thrash metal sound of the 80s, i wonder if the stiletto can cover this, too? or is it more like a rock or classic metal amp?

[/ QUOTE ]

I personally can't see it doing thrash without something in front of it. To my way of thinking, it would just need that little push to get it there, but it's a great head to start with. I can't believe that the thrash from the 80s was done with JCM800s straight up, but I could be wrong. I still have a lot of tweaking to do.

[ QUOTE ]
                  Jim, how do you think it will pair up with my Soldano?? From your description... our band might have the best dual guitar sound on the planet!

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I haven't heard your Soldano rig since you overhauled the T100 and got the parametric EQ, but from your description I think they will be a perfect match. Tonewise it's more like a Marshall, but more open/in your face like the Mark III. Does it matter? Some how, we always end up sounding good together and we've both had our fair share of gear to test that on! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                    rupe, does it do thrash metal? the whole jcm800 thing was THE thrash metal sound of the 80s, i wonder if the stiletto can cover this, too? or is it more like a rock or classic metal amp?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it would crush at the 80's thrash thing. It may need pushed a bit to do a modern thrash tone but it can definitely do old school.

That said, it is also awesome for mainstream 80's metal, classic rock/metal, and even blues...much like a JCM800 with more flexability and the ability to dial in the dynamic response you want. Check one out if you get the chance.

Comment

[img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] two replies two contradicting opinions [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
                      well, a stock jcm800 single channel doesn't do thrash, it needs a pedal in front. the split channel versions pull it off easily, though.
                      so, what do you guys think, is the stiletto more in the single channel or split channel jcm800 ballpark?

Comment

Well, I think I'm in line with what Bill is saying and mind you, I've only had this head for a few days now. He certainly is more familiar with it. I've been playing around with it in Silicon diod mode and now I'm sure it could handle old school thrash no prob. Hard rock, no prob, 80's metal, no prob. It could basically do it all. The only think it really can't do is a rectifier, but it's not that kind of amp anyway. I'd say it comes close to both single and double channel Marshalls. It can hang for sure.

Comment

Sambencuda, if you haven't tried it out with a pedal in front. I suggest you do. A friend and I went to GC twice to mess with Stiletto's. The 1st time we were like it's okay and the 2nd time we had a Maxon OD-9 with us and our opinion changed to OMG!
                          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFn-5BTQ8uU

Comment

Yeah, I have no problem getting thrashy tones out of it when I noodle on it at GC. (I can also get a dead-on newer Maiden tone out of it)

Comment

(I can also get a dead-on newer Maiden tone out of it)

It can do that dead on as well as older Maiden tones!

Comment

Working...
                              X