Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rack vs individual pedals - Which is best ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rack vs individual pedals - Which is best ?

For a long time I have been weighing the options regarding effects.....Shall I go for a "rack" or just keep the zillion pedals that I have. Recently I purchased an old RP7 - which I really liked the tone, on some of the presets, but trying to program it, I find that I must take a few more college courses in order to accomplish that....But, I would love to get feedback regarding a Rack vs Pedals.....What is the word ?

Re: Rack vs individual pedals - Which is best ?

Depending on the rack, you might have an easier or harder time with the programming.
    The ADA MP-1 MIDI Tube Preamp is by far the easiest to program - the options are laid out like a "real" amp (Gain 1, Gain 2, Bass, Mid, Treble, Presence, Master Volume, Voicing (Clean Tube, Distorted Tube, Solid State, etc), FX Loop On/Off, Chorus Depth, Chorus Rate. That's it.
    No Reverbs, Delays, Flange/Phase/blah blah to worry about.

The Digitech TSR 12 and 24 models (FX only, no preamp stuff) are utterly and OVERLY complicated, but they do offer a large array of options, especially in regards to how much of a given effect is in the Final Mix, aside from just the effect's own volume.
    However, it is a PITA to program.

I always liked the GSP21 Legend. It was easy enough to program (for me anyway) and had lots of features, although I would ultimately prefer a single rack unit that let me decide which FX I wanted at any time - from Absolutely Nothing to Chorus + Reverb out the Left and Flange + Delay out the Right of the same patch.
    Maybe one day.... [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

I haven't tried any of the programmable pedal stuff other than a POD and a very brief period with a Digitech RP300A. I'm addicted to LCD readouts with 2 lines of text, so numbers and abbreviated parameter names simply aren't enough for me [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Most folks around here opt for the amp/cab combo with a couple of individual BOSS-type single-function pedals, which is good if it works for you.
    I used to have a dozen individual BOSS pedals, but I wanted a rack to cut down on the cables and floor mess.

Now I got 4 rack units and an even bigger mess [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

try a boss gt-6 or gt-8. i have both. you get the programming ability and pedal (configurable) all in one. you'll be using one power plug instead of several for the pedals you have. i didn't rate the line6 pods either. i don't like the user interface at all.
      Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

For jamming with friends, practicing with a band or playing gigs, I like pedals because they're easier to transport and (usually) cheaper to replace if something happens to `em. However, for recording, I like the flexibility of my rack pieces.

There seems to be a misconception that the actual quality of rack gear is superior to that of pedals, but the only limitation really is what will or won't fit in a pedal housing. Good gear is good gear, and there are many pedals that sound fantastic. There are also plenty of awful rack processors. Get the piece that will give you the sound you want in the package that makes sense for your playing needs.
        sigpic

Comment

Thanks for the info. I already have a number of "boss" pedals and the RP7 (which I still haven't been able to "program"...and I have the manual...read it a dozen times and still can't get it to work.....But Regarding Rack, what are the best units to get?

Comment

People like the GMajor and Intellifex a lot...personally I prefer pedals-I had pedals at first, then I switched to a rack setup, and now Im back to using pedals. I like the simplicity and the fact that I can tweak stuff on the fly much easier.

Comment

One pain in the ass about pedals though is how some degrade the sound going into the next one. Also, if you're going to go the pedal route, use GOOD SHORT cables between pedals! I mix em up - I use a modded crybaby and a modded TS7 or super overdrive in the front of my JSX, then through the fx loop is a Pod XTL used for effects only and a Boss Harmonist pedal for intelligent harmonies.

Pete

Comment

the xtl is a great fx unit for the loop if you choose not to use it as a pre-amp.

i could never use a delay pedal without a temp tap. and the anologe delay sim is great!
                Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

You see my choice!
                  Screamin'

Comment

Go with a high end rack unit like a G-Major or a high end Lexicon. Unless you are using high end boutique true bypass pedals, you are introducing a ton of "color" to your signal.
                    The G-major is an incredible piece of technology and considering it costs around as much as a decent pedal board loaded with pedals, its a great choice.

Comment

+1 for the G-Major. I had one for about a year and it sounded great. I got rid of it only because I wanted to simplify things.

Right now I only use a TU2, Cry Baby Classic, and an SD1... Nothing in the loop.

One big benefit with MIDI rack stuff is that you can program mulitple effects to turn on with a single tap. If you tried to accomplish the same thing with pedals you'll look like that Riverdance guy while you try to activate three different pedals at once.

Comment

one of the advantages of having a rack processor is that you don't have to re-patch everything when you want to create something else. the 'digital' racks allow you to re-order the effects and save everything as a patch so that you can always go back to your original patch without losing anything. the editing parameters can be as simple or complicated as you want. i couldn't see myself going back to stand-alone pedals. too much hassle for me. the g-major is a nice unit, but lacks a preamp, making it inappropriate for me as i record to a multitrack and don't have an amp.
                        Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

"the g-major is a nice unit, but lacks a preamp"

To me thats the biggest advantage of the g-major, because last thing I want is my processor the color my tone. The other advantage it offers is that it will do channel switching for your. So you can program a preset to run on one specific channel, essentially allowing you to not only change effects but channels with only one button.
                          Damn, I love this Interweb.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                            "the g-major is a nice unit, but lacks a preamp"

To me thats the biggest advantage of the g-major, because last thing I want is my processor the color my tone. The other advantage it offers is that it will do channel switching for your. So you can program a preset to run on one specific channel, essentially allowing you to not only change effects but channels with only one button.

[/ QUOTE ]

+1. That is exactly why the G-Major rocks as an effects processor. It also has a parametric EQ in it. With the proper controller there is literally nothing you can't do with it.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                              Recently I purchased an old RP7 - which I really liked the tone, on some of the presets, but trying to program it, I find that I must take a few more college courses in order to accomplish that....But, I would love to get feedback regarding a Rack vs Pedals.....What is the word ?

[/ QUOTE ]

Honestly, if programing the Digitech RP7 scares you, then you are in trouble.

Matt

Comment

Working...
                              X