Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rack vs individual pedals - Which is best ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Rack vs individual pedals - Which is best ?

[ QUOTE ]
    To me thats the biggest advantage of the g-major, because last thing I want is my processor the color my tone.

[/ QUOTE ]

The G-Major does a decent job at keeping the fundamental tone in tact but my Eventide Eclipse is disturbingly good at preserving the incoming tone. Even with extremely "wet" effects you don't feel like the guitar tone is washed completely away like you do with the vast majority of processors out there.
    I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
      +1. That is exactly why the G-Major rocks as an effects processor. It also has a parametric EQ in it. With the proper controller there is literally nothing you can't do with it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I remember Cleve saying that he didn't care for the PEQ in the G-Major too much. While it's not as nice as my Rane PE17 it is still a very good tone shaping tool. Plus I like that the PEQ is programmable - that really lets you get a lot more out of a 2 or 3 channel preamp than you otherwise expect.

- Newc

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
        [ QUOTE ]
        +1. That is exactly why the G-Major rocks as an effects processor. It also has a parametric EQ in it. With the proper controller there is literally nothing you can't do with it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I remember Cleve saying that he didn't care for the PEQ in the G-Major too much. While it's not as nice as my Rane PE17 it is still a very good tone shaping tool. Plus I like that the PEQ is programmable - that really lets you get a lot more out of a 2 or 3 channel preamp than you otherwise expect.

[/ QUOTE ]

Tim, that is exactly why I like the PEQ in the G-Major. Because its programmable for every preset its a great tone shaping tool. I use it to spike up the mids a little on a few solo patches.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
          I use it to spike up the mids a little on a few solo patches.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's what a Tube Screamer is for [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

- Newc

Comment

I shy away from having one big processor for all/most effects, due to the fact that I'm picky about the sound of one product to the next! I prefer to pick and choose sound wise regardless of manufacters! As far as effects go anyways! But as far as processors go, a lot of the "big boys," seem to like the Eventide!
            I love admins!

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
              the g-major is a nice unit, but lacks a preamp

[/ QUOTE ]

That's what Line6 is made for! Sorry dude, don't mean to doggy pile you!

As for the original question, think of Rack vs. pedals this way:

A lot of rack FX pieces don't have pedal access. If you want an effect set permanently or at least with a preset for each song (or something like that) a rack may be the better choice. If you want something with a bit more control that you can kick on and off, you might want to stick with pedals.

-The G-major and some other FX units do have footswitching capability.

If you're looking for only a couple of effects(ie chorus and flange), you might consider foot pedals. Having a full bank of shit might be overkill, so you might consider that.

Either way, do a bit of shopping around and asking questions here. Not all pedals sound the same, and almost importantly not all are as flexible. There are some effects out there with one control knob. WTF? Or if you're like my Spider II, there are three effects on one control knob :lol . Talk about inflexibilty!

Comment

Rectifier, TU2, GE7, Chorus (I've got two bosses, one old, MIJ CE1 (I think) and a newer ensemble. an OLD BF2 MIJ flanger, and an NS2.

I will be buying some sort of Boss or comparable distortion pedal for the Mark 2c I've got.

Comment

Working...
                X