Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie tube amp repair question

Hey guys,
    I bought my first tube head, a Laney TT100H on Ebay. The seller didn't pack the valves seperately and one came out during shipping and kinda pulled the socket loose. I put the tube back in and everything seemed to work fine but the tube that fell out was bad so I turned it off and looked for a repair shop as I know jack squat about these.
    I took it to a local guy who's got a shop and hand builds amps and guitars...old school stuff..like high end purist wood box amps. It had mismatched tubes so I was getting all new tubes..biasing..and checking that everything seemed in working order.
    I picked it up yesterday and he said it had a few issues..the socket was loose..the tranformer needed tighening but all was now well and the amp sounded good and was loud as hell.
    When I got it home the two master volumes are not working correctly. Master 1 is either on or off (inaudible at 0...full blast at 1 with no change in volume between 1 and 10. Volume 2...a kind of alternate boost volume kills the signal completely when activated(silence).
    No wonder the amp is loud as hell...the three channel volumes are the only way to turn it up and at 3 or 4 are RIPPING LOUD as the master is basically stuck on 10.
    I called him immediately but I can't take the amp back until next weekend...he said his work is guaranteed.

My question is does this sound like an easy fix or does it sound like a short on the circuit boards or something. I am worried because he said he couldn't vouch for the midi and advanced circuit stuff when I picked it up and if that's the problem I could be out another few hundered bucks if he can't fix it. Not a good first experience with tube amps.
    Thanks for any insight anyone might have.
    -Michael

Re: Newbie tube amp repair question

Sounds like crappy pentiometers on the amp to me. Maybe twisteramps can chime in and lend his advice.

Comment

I guess I should clarify that all the volumes and midi switches worked fine after it arrived Thursday. The only issue I could see was it didn't sound good because the tube that fell out wasn't firing up. The 2 Master volumes issue happened during the retube which is why I am thinking and hoping it is not serious as he didn't mess with any circuits...maybe something just got knocked or disconnected. If it is a circuit board short I will probably have to convince him it worked before I brought it and even then he may not be able to correct it.
      -Michael

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
        I guess I should clarify that all the volumes and midi switches worked fine after it arrived Thursday. The only issue I could see was it didn't sound good because the tube that fell out wasn't firing up. The 2 Master volumes issue happened during the retube which is why I am thinking and hoping it is not serious as he didn't mess with any circuits...maybe something just got knocked or disconnected. If it is a circuit board short I will probably have to convince him it worked before I brought it and even then he may not be able to correct it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bring it back to him, sounds like he might have screwed something up.

Comment

In case I need to take my amp somewhere else...does anybody know a good place in Chicago for amp repair?
          Thanks
          -Michael

Comment

Working...
          X