marshall 212 vs crate gtx212. wrmg turbocharger

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• marshall 212 vs crate gtx212. wrmg turbocharger

i've (at least temporarily) swapped my boss gt-8 for my friend's marshall 212 (not sure which model). i get sound through the clean channel when the input is set to 0. hmm. i still have my gt-6. alternatively, i could trade in the gt-8 for a crate gtx212. thoughts? comparisons of these two amps? i know the gtx212 has built in fx but i don't know if it has a line out to record to a multitrack. the marshall does have a line out but only a chorus and reverb. having said that, there is a white box inside the back of the marshall, so i suspect i could possibly stick an outboard fx unit in it's place if needed.

i am also concerned about the turbocharger on my Jackson WRMG. is this relevant if i'm using a gt-6 between the guitar and the amp? i don't wanna blow up my friend's marshall amp. we've swapped for a week.
    Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Re: marshall 212 vs crate gtx212. wrmg turbocharge

Depending on the model, the Marshall may have a preamp tube in it, in which case you might benefit more from the WRMG's gain boost. Since you're generally better off recording without effects and adding them later or running an effects unit in a mixer's effects loop, I don't think you'd find the Crate to be as useful as the Marshall. Skip the Crate.

No harm in using the TurboCharger in any of the above setups. It may add some noise, but it won't blow anything up.
    sigpic

Comment

Re: marshall 212 vs crate gtx212. wrmg turbocharge

I'd keep the GT-8 and trade the GT-6 for the Marshall. Does the Marshall look like this? If so, it's an 8240 stereo chorus Valvestate. I got one new in the early '90s, still use it down my basement. The chorus sounds very nice, there's a stereo effects loop on the front, line outs on the back, no extension speaker output, though. I believe the only other Marshall that had chorus built in was the upgraded Valvestate 265R, if I recall correctly. I'd take either of those over the Crate, not that there'd be really anything wrong with the Crate.
      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Working...
      X