MARSHALL CAB QUESTION?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MARSHALL CAB QUESTION?

Alright guys heres what I need to know. I am up in the air about getting another 4x12 cab. Im checking out the Bogner uber, splawn x-pattern and an older Marshall 1960 slant. I heard the bogner and am waiting for some revies on the Splawn. What do you all think of the Marshall cabs? What are the speakers of choice in them and how do they stack up against the other 2 I mentioned? Seems like everyone either at one time or another has played Marshalls. So what do you all think???

Re: MARSHALL CAB QUESTION?

I have a Marshall JCM 800 1960A (slant) The speakers init are G12T75's. I personally think they are a perfect match for a Marshall type of amp. I use that cab with my 2203.

My Bogner 4x12 has V30's and that cab sounds great with whatever head I run through it....

I'm a straight metal tone typ of giy and tune no lower than Eb.

Bogner cabs are based off a Marshall cab fwiw
    shawnlutz.com

Comment

Im pretty much straight metal also. I have the 2 Mesa recto 4x12 which sound great with all my heads, and are never going anywhere. Im really just looking for another type of tone for diversity thats why I am thinking about a Marshall cab. Plus they are about half the price of a uber or splawn cab.

Comment

Take the batting out of the Bogner, and use the same speakers in the Marshall, and you won't be able to tell the difference between the two.

Like Shawn said, Bogner cloned a 68 Marshall cab when they designed their cabs. The only difference is that Bogner uses plywood for the back, and since around '71, Marshall uses MDF, or whatever it's called.

Comment

I'm using the g-flex now but had both marshall and mesa cabs. As far as build quality the marshall was a piece of s--- and the mesa was built like a tank.Also I preferred the v-30's to the g12t75's. But I like the g-flex the best of all.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
            But I like the g-flex the best of all.

[/ QUOTE ]

+1
            "Now remember, things look bad and it looks like you're not gonna make it, then you gotta get mean. I mean plumb, mad-dog mean. 'Cause if you lose your head and you give up then you neither live nor win. That's just the way it is. ":JOSEY WALES

Comment

you have the oversized recto cabs or traditional? Also you will find other cabs with V30's sound brighter then the mesa cabs, for some reason they hand pick darker sounding v30's. I right now am loving my 1980's JCM800 Cab with 75's, sounds so great with my XTC and my marshall's. Personaly i think right now i am a little burned on my mesa V30 cab traditional cab, i am selling it and will probaly regret it, but i just have to many cabs. For my V30 fix i am gonna use that uber cab which has a mix of the two speakers, plus i have a marshall with V30's. My list of cabs right now.
              Mesa 4x12 Recto traditional slant, i think it is a 2002 cab before celestion stopped making there speakers in england.

Marshall 1980's JCM800 straight front, two of the speakers are from 1984 and two are newer mid 90's, so i am thinking the cab is a 1984

1978 Marshall 4x12 slant with pre rola blackbacks.

2003ish marshall slant 4x12 that use to have greenbacks but put marshall vintage speakers in (v30's)

Mesa 4x12 metal Grill front with 70th aniversery speakers, i havent wired the speakers yet because i need a wiring diagram, anyone have a stereo wiring digram for an older mesa 4x12?

Peavey 4x12 straight from the 80's, this thing is loaded with scorpion speakers at 4 ohm, i plugged my 5150II into it the other day and i forgot how damn smooth that cabinet sounds.

I also have a 5150 cab but my friend has had it for ages so i need to get it back.

2X12 Flextone cabinet

Personality if you are a metal guy and want some change get a cab with 75's, the greenbacks can be used too, as lynch was famous for using the greenback and 70th aniversery 30 watt speakers back in the dokken days. But alot of other metal bands use the 75's which have less mid's and more highs, where the greenbacks and 30 watters have more mids and smoother top end.

Comment

i have a uberkab and ive owned a couple marshall cabs and i think the bogner is better made and sounds better imo. ive never been happy with the marshall cabs ive had and played. i also think the splawn cabs are better than the marshalls.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                  I'm using the g-flex now but had both marshall and mesa cabs. As far as build quality the marshall was a piece of s--- and the mesa was built like a tank.Also I preferred the v-30's to the g12t75's. But I like the g-flex the best of all.

[/ QUOTE ]

Marshalls arent a peice of shit, they are actualy good cabs, just that back panel needs to be replaced if you are anal about it. Yeah for booming downtuned metal they are not the best though.

I had a g-flex, good cabinet, but to me just lacked when put up against the V30's, however the flex could take more volume and bass then its counter part the mesa 2x12. The g-flex is a great cab, i just wasnt crazy about the voicing.

AS to what you should get, depends on alot of what type of music you are gonna play, what sound you are looking for and what heads you are using. The best thing you can do is take your guitar, your head down to a store and just play for a few hours.

Comment

Working...
                  X