Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

rack pre with good distorted AND clean tones?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rack pre with good distorted AND clean tones?

OK, I currently use a Rocktron Piranha, and for distorted and lead tones it absolutely SMOKES.

Problem is, much like the Marshall JMP-1 I used to use before it, the clean tones blow. They are weak & dull, and are severely lacking in headroom.

Is there a pre out there which will give me the distorted tones of the rocktron or marshall, but will also give me nice sparkly / spanky clean tones? I'd prefer something that's MIDI controllable. Will I have to go with one of the modeling pres like a Pod XT Pro?

Does anyone one JCF actually use clean tones ? [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

When I used the Marshall JMP-1 I used to daisy chain it with a Real Tube RT-902 rack pre to fix the clean tone issue somewhat (at the expense of taking some edge out of my lead sounds). That worked reasonably well, but I'd rather get one unit that can do the trick all by itself.

[edit]I should add I use a solid state power amp. Would a tube power amp possibly help?[/edit]

Re: rack pre with good distorted AND clean tones?

I recently sold a Hafler/Bogner Triple Giant which had a stellar clean tone when used with a good tube power amp. You can get some good clean tones from an MP1 as well.
    A tube power amp is what will make the biggest difference here. SS works well for very heavy tones, but tubes are what gives a clean tone its shimmery, 3D, sparkly tone. You may find your JMP-1's clean tones much more to your liking if you invest in a good power amp.

Comment

I think that Hippietim has a Hafler for sale!! Check the classifieds. The sound samples I have heard were killer.

Comment

Hey Rupe,
        Did the effects blend work on yours. I have one and really like the tones but when I use the "insert" with my jape and turn the knob to make it more effect heavy, the volume just goes down no matter where the levels are set on the rack.

Comment

Bert, Change the number 1 tube out to a 12AT7 This will really make a difference in your clean sound. That's what I did with my Piranha.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
            Bert, Change the number 1 tube out to a 12AT7 This will really make a difference in your clean sound. That's what I did with my Piranha.

[/ QUOTE ]

I might give that a shot, but what was the effect on the distorted tones?

Comment

Well, I'm always pushing the Randall preamp with interchangable modules, but other than that that rack POD unit might be a good answer too. The only other thing I can think of with brutal tones and good cleans is the Sansamp PSA-1. It's pretty cheap, SS, and sounds great from what I hear. It might actually be a really nice choice seeing how you have a SS poweramp too. Either way, good luck [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                The only other thing I can think of with brutal tones and good cleans is the Sansamp PSA-1.

[/ QUOTE ]
                + 1
                I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I thought the cleans on the Engl 530 were pretty decent. It is a pretty flexible preamp too if you like the Engl voicing. It definitely does high gain stuff as well, though some claim it doesn't have enough gain for them.

Comment

I had a Boogie Triaxis and it had some nice clean tones available. Tons of great distortion tones available as well. Very pricey though...

Comment

The Engl does look cool... too bad it's not MIDI. The MIDI controllable preamp from Engl looks way out of my price range [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Comment

For another $200 or so you could make it midi controlled (Engle has a channel switcher that is midi programmable). I used my GMajor to channel switch it when I had it. However, there is no cheap option [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]. The 570 and 580 do look nice, but I'd agree they cost a pretty penny.

Comment

The ART DST-4 preamp has awesome distortion and what I consider to be a good clean tone as well. The odd thing is that the distortion is solid state but the clean channel has a 12AX7 tube. It also has a digital effects section, with some of the time-based delays and reverbs being amazing for cleans. There is also a pickup boost button for "heating up" single coils.

You have the option of using a MIDI controller or a simple two-button footswitch for preamp and effects bypass. They been discontinued for years, but can be found used for relatively cheap.
                          sigpic

Comment

TriAxis and ENGL 570... I have both... and both have great cleans.
                            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFn-5BTQ8uU

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                              Hey Rupe,
                              Did the effects blend work on yours. I have one and really like the tones but when I use the "insert" with my jape and turn the knob to make it more effect heavy, the volume just goes down no matter where the levels are set on the rack.

[/ QUOTE ]

Mine never had that issue, but I didn't typically use that function in my rig. I ran from the preamp into my outboard gear and then into the power amp.
                              I did use the loop for some rehearsals and it seemed to work fine although I didn't really put it through its paces...kinda set it and forget it.

Comment

Working...
                              X