best preamp for metal tones?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: best preamp for metal tones?

Most modelers have good metal tones. I would lean towards the POD 2.0 or the POD XT for the super heavy stuff. I use a Boss GT-6 myself for home use, some recording and some band practices. It kills.

Comment

I wouldnt say the best but for the price,,, Mesa formula pre

Comment

the jmp-1 sounds great imho

Comment

I'd go with a Soldano myself.
          Heads and shoulders above all when it comes to power, sustain and distortion. Go to a shop/store and plug in and see what many are talking about. Unbelievable sweet sounding stuff.
          Peace, Love and Happieness and all that stuff...

"Anyone who tries to fling crap my way better have a really good crap flinger."

I personally do not care how it was built as long as it is a good playing/sounding instrument.

Yes, there's a bee in the pudding.

Comment

what about these?

Digitech GSP5, Digitech twin tube gfx1,Rocktron GMAX, and the Rocktron Intelflex.... Could I get some good metal tones out of any of those?
            Light intervened, annihliating darkness.
            The path of salvation made clear for the prodigal human race

Comment

As I mention in almost every post, try the ART Xtreme pedal or DST-4 rack preamp. I'm pretty sure you (gold moon) have heard some of my recorded stuff; all my tracks were done with an Xtreme.
              sigpic

Comment

Bolt Thrower uses Boss GX700 preamps into Marshall 9040 poweramps. I'd say they're pretty frikkin heavy!
                1+2 = McGuirk, 2+4 = She's hot, 6-4 = Happy McGuirk

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                  what about these?

Digitech GSP5, Digitech twin tube gfx1,Rocktron GMAX, and the Rocktron Intelflex.... Could I get some good metal tones out of any of those?

[/ QUOTE ]

GSP5 is too old. It sounds digital
                  The Rocktron Intellifex is just an effects processor. There are no metal tones at all in there. Just effects.

Comment

Would an Art Extreme Plus work well with a powerblock in creating some good metal tones?
                    Light intervened, annihliating darkness.
                    The path of salvation made clear for the prodigal human race

Comment

I use an ADA MP-1 into a VHT 2150 and when I record I run a second channel through a Metal Zone into a Marshall VS65R. And my tone will make you SHIT.

Comment

no doubt about it, ace. but keep in mind, tone is also in the hands.
                        btw, how does the ada mp1 stack up against a jmp1 ? i'm quite familiar with the jmp1 (and i like it a lot!), and the mp1 is cheap, maybe i should try one?

regarding the mt2 thing. i haven't been able to make it sound decent in a live situation (yet), but i've heared some killer guitar sounds that involved the mt2. a good example would be cannibal corpse. you can even see in the wretched spawn dvd that pat used the mt2 into triple rectifier rig for this album (as he did for most other CC records), and needless to say his sound was awesome when i saw corpse live - pat used his mt2 triple recto rig of course.

Comment

Ace will tell you about my CAE3+se/VHT2150 rig and its severe heavyness from 80s shred to a more modern brutality and Fender Blackface clean-ness......

But what idiot will spend that for a metal rig??

Umm, oh wait... I did... Sigh... Nevermind...

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                            I'd go with a Soldano myself.
                            Heads and shoulders above all when it comes to power, sustain and distortion. Go to a shop/store and plug in and see what many are talking about. Unbelievable sweet sounding stuff.

[/ QUOTE ]

Which Soldano are you talking about? The SP-77 is good for classic 80's metal tones but doesn't have anywhere near the gain for most modern metal IMO. The SP-77 doesn't do brutal.
                            I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

I thought my SP77 did a wicked George Lynch/80s tone, but modern 'brutal' stuff? not to my ear. Great preamp though!

Pete

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                                no doubt about it, ace. but keep in mind, tone is also in the hands.
                                btw, how does the ada mp1 stack up against a jmp1 ? i'm quite familiar with the jmp1 (and i like it a lot!), and the mp1 is cheap, maybe i should try one?

regarding the mt2 thing. i haven't been able to make it sound decent in a live situation (yet), but i've heared some killer guitar sounds that involved the mt2. a good example would be cannibal corpse. you can even see in the wretched spawn dvd that pat used the mt2 into triple rectifier rig for this album (as he did for most other CC records), and needless to say his sound was awesome when i saw corpse live - pat used his mt2 triple recto rig of course.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe they have a mod'd MT2? I've heard the before and after on some website, and the mod's sounded pretty good. More organic and less buzzy.

Comment

Working...
                                X