Educate me- my Recto need new tubes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Educate me- my Recto need new tubes

Okay so, my Boogie Trem-o-verb is dying bad. Pops crackles, sounds drops occasionally. The thing needs new tubes like nothing else.

I however, know nothing about tubes. Can someone please educate me as to where I should begin, what tubes to get, how to go about replacing them?

Do I need to have the amp professionally biased?

I'm hoping the new tubes will bring the amp back to life, as it sounds so dead right now, also maybe warm it up and tighten up the bass a bit.

Help? [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Re: Educate me- my Recto need new tubes

Rectos are set pre-biased, well at least mine was. Check out www.eurotubes.com they have some good stuff there.

Comment

If you change to a different brand of tube you will have to have the head biased. Mesa tubes have color codes on the base of them. If you are going to stick with Mesa tubes just order the same type of tube and the same color code. That is only on the power tubes. The preamp tubes you can use any brand. That is how Mesa suckers you into buying there rebranded overpriced shit tubes.

Comment

Well, you could always go to any music store and pick up some Mesa branded tube to throw in there.

If you want the best performance however, do some research and find the best tubes for your application. www.thetubestore.com has some pretty good commentary on the different tube types. If you are interested in JJ's, eurotubes is the place to go. I've emailed Bob in the past and he always responded quickly with detalied responses. You may even want to have your bias adjusted professionally no matter what tubes you go with. Mesas are biased cold from the factory. I've had it done to my amp and it really came alive afterwards.

Personally, I use Mesa powertubes, and a mix of JJ and Mullard reish's for the preamp in my single rec.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
          If you change to a different brand of tube you will have to have the head biased. Mesa tubes have color codes on the base of them. If you are going to stick with Mesa tubes just order the same type of tube and the same color code. That is only on the power tubes. The preamp tubes you can use any brand. That is how Mesa suckers you into buying there rebranded overpriced shit tubes.

[/ QUOTE ]

That is not true, you can not bias a rec unless you install a bias pot. Basicaly what boogie does is have tubes that run a little hotter, the different colors determine which is hotter and which ihs cooler, of course they are all cold no matter how you look at it.

Bob at eurotubes selects power tubes that are gonna run hotter in a rec, even hotter then mesa will give you so he can hook you up. Honestly though if you want the best out of that amp, get a bias pot installed so you can bias it to where it is suppose to be.

Comment

Interesting, any idea where I would go to get this mod done?

Comment

I believe vodoo amps does, but any amp tech should be able to do it for you.

Comment

I'm a big fan of the JJ 6L6GC in my dual recto. As far as preamp tubes go, get a couple JJ, EH, and Chinese 9ths and play with it until you find a combo you like. Right now I'm running a TungSol in V1, EH in V2, and JJ in V3-V5.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]

That is not true, you can not bias a rec unless you install a bias pot. Basicaly what boogie does is have tubes that run a little hotter,

[/ QUOTE ]

not to be a dick. but a good tech can change out resistors in the output section for ones of different value. basically re-"fixing" boogie's "fixed" bias. warming it up and matching it with the new tubes installed. i've had many done and it does make a big difference.

now Paddok you could go to the music store and purchase new Boogie tubes and throw them in there and it will Most Likely work out fine. but if you have an internal problem like with a tube socket or something, it will just blow the new tube(s).

if it has never been to a good tech, i reccomend it. every amp needs a good checkup every few years. and if you don't have the skills, leave to someone who does.

if he rebiases it, and down the road it starts to loose its "UMPH" retube it's power section with the same rated tubes yourself and you know the bias hasn't changed so you are good to go.
                  Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

You can also use Groove Tubes with a 4-6 rating and these will typically work well with a fixed bias Mesa amp.

Comment

Also try this link

http://www.nicef-ingrack.com/phpbb/v...4d9154c468a4c3

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                        Also try this link

[/ QUOTE ]

Mids at zero? Godsmack? He's got to be referencing some of the worst Recto sounds imaginable, IMO.

Why does everyone assume that mod means better? I have two tremos, and a mod is that last thing I think they need. Now a regular Solo head? Maybe. I don't think they sound as nice as the Tremoverbs. But that's just me. Besides, he's just asking for Tube replacement advice - not amp modification.

One more tube resource: http://www.kcanostubes.com
                        -Jon G

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                          [ QUOTE ]
                          Also try this link

[/ QUOTE ]

Mids at zero? Godsmack? He's got to be referencing some of the worst Recto sounds imaginable, IMO.

Why does everyone assume that mod means better? I have two tremos, and a mod is that last thing I think they need. Now a regular Solo head? Maybe. I don't think they sound as nice as the Tremoverbs. But that's just me. Besides, he's just asking for Tube replacement advice - not amp modification.

One more tube resource: http://www.kcanostubes.com

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah but until you hear a modded recto you dont know what you are missing. There super cold bias does hamper the amp, this could be a mean machine if you could bias it. A good way before cutting your amp up, is talk to bob at euro, he will send you very cold 6L6's that you can run in the EL34 position which will make it run where it should be.

Comment

Working...
                          X