jcm 800 guys

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jcm 800 guys

what years was the 2203 models run and what years are the most sought after and how do you tell the year the amp was made?
    www.myspace.com/goreality1

Re: jcm 800 guys

dont know the years but the verticle inputs are the ones that i've heard recommended.

but i'm sure we have some marshall heads around here that can give you all the details.
    Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

I believe there was a MK II 100 watt series 2203 head (1 channel, master volume) From 1975-1981

Then in like 81/82 came the intro of the JCM800 version of 100 watt series 2203 heads (1 channel, master volume) I think they made them till late 89, or 90.

Dating the head:
      http://www.blamepro.com/mar/date1.htm

Comment

more info on the head
        serial number SA Y07132
        MK II master model 100 watt lead

Comment

well I just found apage on google
          the marshall is a 1990 model...

Comment

I generally like the earlier ones better, but have heard some great later ones like that 90. That one is the last of the 800s there.

Comment

The earliest ones (JMP-JCM styled script mk2) are the most desired in the 100w versions. These have an all tube signal path and a master vol. Then they had the vert input JCM800's which I believe started the diode clipping Marshalls.
              The later versions with horizontal input were changed slightly. These also have diode clipping which provides a harder edge. Some of the large 500 caps were taken out of the design to save on money. Some other variations were done and the later amps said to have a brighter edge to them as the lack of those caps took out some of the beef in the lower end ompph of the amps tonal character.
              That of course is a matter of opinion, they're still a 100w Marshall=loud as ____!.
              I would say a later amp that has been modded would be a good bet. I saw a Trace modded one on eBay for a 1000.00 just recently.

Otherwise take a look on the web and do some research, I found some of this as a refresher on Harmony Central
              http://www.harmony-central.com/Guita...evolution.html

If I was going to pay that much money tho for what these are going for..I'd consider all my options on brands and not just Marshall.

Comment

You want the one with 6 blue can capacitors. Better than 5 because you will have more headroom and less sag under heavy bass notes.

Marshall switched from 6 to 5 cans at about the same time they went from vertical to horizontal inputs. That's why everyone says just check the inputs, but I'd check for 6 cans as well. Easy enough to upgrade if you aren't a collector. Also look for Drake vs. Dagnall transformers. It's more important to get Drakes than it is to get 6 cans (GOOD trannies are very exspensive)

Comment

The 2205/2210 JCM 800's had Diode Clipping, but none of the 2203/2204 JCM 800s did.

From 76 through 80, they were the JMP 2203/2204, then in 80-81 they switched over to the JCM 800 cosmetics, but the same amp. In 84, they changed over to the Vertical inputs.

The Circuit pretty much stayed the same from begining to end, but different brands, and types of components made some tonal changes through the years.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                    The 2205/2210 JCM 800's had Diode Clipping, but none of the 2203/2204 JCM 800s did.

From 76 through 80, they were the JMP 2203/2204, then in 80-81 they switched over to the JCM 800 cosmetics, but the same amp. In 84, they changed over to the Vertical inputs.

The Circuit pretty much stayed the same from begining to end, but different brands, and types of components made some tonal changes through the years.

[/ QUOTE ]

The 2210's are also split channel, they have reverb and an effects loop

Comment

They are known I believe as the 'lead series 800'
                      2210's are nice amps IMO, they seem to dial in pretty well.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I have a 84 JCM800 Vertical Input, around that time they also switched over to the horizontal input versions.

[ QUOTE ]
                        You want the one with 6 blue can capacitors. Better than 5 because you will have more headroom and less sag under heavy bass notes.

[/ QUOTE ]

This only applies to the 100 Watt version, when they switched over to the horizontal inputs they removed one of them and went from 6 to 5. This however does not effect the 50 watt version which still uses 3 in all the JCM800's. And a note, these caps are not always blue, i have seen green and grey and black as well.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                          [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I have a 84 JCM800 Vertical Input, around that time they also switched over to the horizontal input versions.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This only applies to the 100 Watt version, when they switched over to the horizontal inputs they removed one of them and went from 6 to 5. This however does not effect the 50 watt version which still uses 3 in all the JCM800's. And a note, these caps are not always blue, i have seen green and grey and black as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're right, I got my Vertical vs Horizontal messed up. They were Vertical up through 84, then changed over to the Horizontal verision

The 2203's dropped the number of filter caps down to 5, but shortly after, dropped the number down to 3. From what I've read, there's no difference in filtering though, because the old version used a differnt cap, and only used 1 side of the 50/50 cap, or the newer version utilized both sides or something like that. I don't know exactly how they worked it out, but they had the same amount of filtering.

Comment

The best JCM800 2203's are from 81 to 84 I believe, the ones vertical inputs
                            shawnlutz.com

Comment

Or go for a 2204 from those years. 50 watter is the 2204

Comment

Working...
                              X