• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marshall Super Bass

For example:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Marshall-1974-Super-...1QQcmdZViewItem

Will these also play a regular guitar?

I swear these look identical to amps I've seen in pictures of AC/DC in the studio taken from 70s...

Maybe something similar? But I also recall reading that Angus plugged into a 'bass amp'. Maybe this was it or something similar?

Thanks!

Re: Marshall Super Bass

Yes they will play guitar, i think hendrix used them, but be aware they wont have that much distortion, so unless you plan on using pedels only for distortion, then this is a great deep sounding head.

Comment

people have been using them as guitar heads since the day they came out. it's all about the tone YOU want. some like it bassier some like more treble. some like mids, some like scoop. i have never used the super bass head but i'd be happy to give it a try and see what kind of sounds i can get out of it.
      Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

Its probably more popular used as a guitar head.

Comment

These are typically used for guitar and sound great. They can also be easily modded to Super Lead specs (most that I have come across have already had this done). Doing this will tpically bring out a bit more drive when pushed hard and add some upper mids and highs to the overall voicing of the amp. If you dig classic Marshall tone, you'll like this amp.

Comment

That amp looks like it's been hacked to hell. It's a Guitar Center auction too which are known for being priced WAY out of line and they don't always follow thru with their deals. I've read stories where they have stuff on Ebay while it's in the store for sale. If it sells in the store first your screwed. You can find much nicer old Marshalls elsewhere for that kind of money.
            Jerry
            FJA Mods YouTube

Comment

I had one of these back in '83.

I saved my ass off for a Marshall head when I was in high school. Got it for $300. Thought it was a guitar map. Took it home pluged it in and bam, no fuzz. WTF. Started to monkey with it and pulled the duct tape off the back with the previous owners bands name on it and saw the Super Bass name. I was pissed, I wanted a GUTIAR marshall ( if I had only kown ).

I could not give that thing away. It sat in my basement for a few years till I traded it for some picks or something [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Live and learn..............

Comment

Action Guitar here in VA had a 50 watt JCM version for like 799 i believe. I am not sure if they still have it, but i could find out if you like.

Comment

AC/DC I heard used Marshall Majors,
                  a 200 watt Marshall (the same Blackmore modded)
                  in the 70's. GC is overpricing their used gear in attempts
                  to drive up the market. They seem to have the time & money to waste.

Comment

Hey thanks for all the great info guys!

Oh no I was not going to bid on that one [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] Just using it for reference.

Siggy- Thanks man, I'm still looking around, I deifnitely want to play one before I decide, but again, thanks big time for the offer, really nice of you!

Wow, 200 watts. That's gotta be one loud amp!

Comment

If you ever get a chance to read Blackmore's cover interview in the '79 issue of GP, it has a pretty humorous story about him tweaking those amps in the Marshall factory.

Comment

I've had a bunch of Marshalls over the years but an old '73 (IIRC) Super Bass 100 Watter was head and shoulders above the rest tone-wise.
                        Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam!

Comment

Cool. Thanks again guys!

Comment

Working...
                          X