Todays Greenbacks vs yesteryears.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Todays Greenbacks vs yesteryears.

So i have a 2000 Marshall Cab with greenbacks and i have a 1977 marshall cab with blackbacks (same as greenbacks) and lets just say the sad thing is i like the newer version better. The speakers sound like two different speakers all together, I am so confused on what to keep now. Anyone else notice a huge difference between greenbacks in older cabs compared to todays?

Re: Todays Greenbacks vs yesteryears.

I have a '74 Marshall that came with 25 watters. I don't know if they were green or black because the backs were gone when I go the cab, but they were most likely black backs. The cab always sounded great, but a little strange, for lack of a better term. I put a new set of greenbacks in it about 5 years ago (so they are still made in England I think), and after break in they sounded even better than what was in the cab originally. As it turns out, my original speakers were recones, and from what I understand, is why they sounded a little funny. Also, from what I understand, there are MANY MANY MANY Celestions from this era that are reconed. I guess it is real common for people back then to blow these and have them reconed locally insted of buying a new speaker.

Comment

I can't see any reason an old Celestion could possibly sound better than the newer Celestion version of it.

Comment

Umm, maybe if the newer Celestions were made by Chinese slave labor making $2 a day with crappy parts?

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
          Umm, maybe if the newer Celestions were made by Chinese slave labor making $2 a day with crappy parts?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well i believe mine in the newer cabinet are before they moved operations to China, the cabinet is from the year 2000. However it is suppose to be made to spec's over in china, but who knows.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I still don't buy it. I am sure Celestion has stringent manufacturing policies overseas.
            An old crusty greenback from the 70's that has probably been reconed a few times is not going to sound better than a new one... regardless of who put it together. Speaker manufacturing is not rocket science. The design is.

Comment

You never know... I mean I could see your point etc.

But, like older USA Rocktron stuff is great, the new Chinese stuff is crap. And I doubt celestion is all "that" stringent. To a point, but EVERYONE is looking to cheapen and cut costs. And that they are doing.

But OBVIOUSLY if it has been blown reconed and crustified, there is an issue. Silly to bring that into the equation. We're talking both unit in relative unscathed condition.

I have Green(black)backs bought from the mid seventies I KNOW are not reconed and have been properly cared for and sound great.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I still don't buy it. I am sure Celestion has stringent manufacturing policies overseas.
                An old crusty greenback from the 70's that has probably been reconed a few times is not going to sound better than a new one... regardless of who put it together. Speaker manufacturing is not rocket science. The design is.

[/ QUOTE ]

OH i agree, i so much like my newer greenbacks and how they sound. The older one had a Very Vox sound to it, i also call it a boxy sound. You know where is chuck? i hope he is ok i havent seen him chime in on anything in awhile, but i know he likes older cabs.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                  You never know... I mean I could see your point etc.

But, like older USA Rocktron stuff is great, the new Chinese stuff is crap. And I doubt celestion is all "that" stringent. To a point, but EVERYONE is looking to cheapen and cut costs. And that they are doing.

But OBVIOUSLY if it has been blown reconed and crustified, there is an issue. Silly to bring that into the equation. We're talking both unit in relative unscathed condition.

I have Green(black)backs bought from the mid seventies I KNOW are not reconed and have been properly cared for and sound great.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good points as always. A component laden item will be effected by substandard electronics but I would guess that the majority of raw materials used to make a speakers come from only a few manufacturers.

Comment

I also belieev my blackbacks have never been reconed, just goes to show you that little changes here and there can effect the over all tone of a speaker. When i play through the old black backs, think Brian may tone on the we will rock you song.

Comment

maybe the older speaker are wearing out?
                      shawnlutz.com

Comment

When it comes down to it, Celestions sorta bum me out anyways.

Plug into a Electrovoice EVM G12L.... Make a celestion sound like ass.

At $250 a piece, I guess I can understand though, haha... Very little coloration (unlike the Celestions), fairly flat response, and takes 300 watts and doesn't distort. Umm, weigh twice as much as a celestion as well.

Wish I could afford to do one of my cabs in them. Shame they went all "Black Label" Prolly why they went up inprice, haha...

Bad picl of it though...

Comment

I feel the same way about my 300w Altec Lansing Whiteframes. Sure.. they are super expensive and heavy as all hell.. but they sound incredible.

Comment

I saw those, and they did peak my interest. Though at $250 a pop they are kinda spendy!

Comment

i saw an advertisement in guitar one for those black label EVM's, you know what when i saw black label at ozzfest i thought his tone sounded like pure crap, alot of mush, and i have seen him on more then one occasion where that has happened.

Weird though, people like zack and Jake swear by those speakers, maybe i am crazy but latley i have realy been into the 75's.

Comment

Working...
                              X