Tube Preamps through a solid state?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tube Preamps through a solid state?

Hey guys, I am looking to expand my rig, and I am upgrading my Transtube to an XXL, or at least thats what its looking like right now. I have an engl 620 preamp that I have in the effects loop of my transtube, awesome distortion! Has anyone tried an XXL with a tube preamp before? I am thinking it might be cool to drop the wattage down to 25 and pump the hell out of the preamp.

Re: Tube Preamps through a solid state?

If you are sticking with a solid state power amp, changing from a different TransTube amp to an XXL won't have a drastic effect on your tone, as the XXL still uses a TransTube power section. The Engl will sound as good as ever, and dropping the wattage of the amp will let you play louder of course, but the greater benefit would be to combine the Engl with a tube power amp. For not much more money than an XXL, you could get a Peavey Valve King instead.
    sigpic

Comment

Have you played a valve king? I have experience with the xxl, but not with th VK, is is like those cheap marshalls?

Comment

The Valve Kings are full tube, both preamp and power amp. I haven't tried one, but they are cheap because they're made in China. I have tried an XXL, Supreme XL and many other TransTube amps, and they sound good, don't get me wrong. However, if you like the sound of the Engl preamp and don't care about the Peavey distortion, getting an XXL might be paying for features you don't need.

Then again, if you are buying an XXL combo and don't have a different cab, your plan is fine as is. Like I said, I think the XXL sounds good, but you seem to be looking for the best match for the Engl.
        sigpic

Comment

well, this is the thing, right now I am starting to get a gigging band back together, so I am looking at a 2x12 that will serve me well for good cleans and distortion that could pull off Dream Theater and the like, so between the 3 channels of the XXL and the Engl Distortion, I think I should be set, are there any other 2x12's that dont cost an arm and a leg that can pull off a decent sound?

Comment

5150's are cheap used amps, and the distortion is amazing but i dont think you'd be happy with the clean sound on that. However you might be better off using the solid state for clean sounds anyway.

Comment

Working...
            X