• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• May be the right amp?

Hi guys-

I am still looking aorund at amps, and searching on ebay found this one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Marshall-artist-4203...1QQcmdZViewItem

Anybody ever heard of them, or played/owned one? Seems to be right up my alley, again I'm looking at playing hard rock kinda stuff, a la ACDC or g'n'r for the most part, but I also like everything in between, probably not a lot of metal, but think this amp could pull off some crunchy metal tones too?

Would you pay the BIN price?

Thanks, please let me know [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

edit: seems like theres a few on ebay another: http://cgi.ebay.com/MARSHALL-ARTIST-4203...1QQcmdZViewItem

Re: May be the right amp?

I played through the head version - 2203 - into a tubeworks 4x12 and it's the only Marshall I've tried that I liked.
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Cool, thanks Newc. Didn't know it was the combo version of the 2203, I've heard nothing but praise about that one.

Comment

What kind of music do you play really?

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
          I played through the head version - 2203 - into a tubeworks 4x12 and it's the only Marshall I've tried that I liked.

[/ QUOTE ]

I dont think the head version is 2203, that is the good amp, these are artists. I think JCgable had one and so does someone else. Honestly, pick yourself up a used ADA MP-1 and a good power amp and a 2x12 cabinet and you will be happy! Well unless you want a combo.

Comment

3203? [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

Anyhoo, it was a Hunter Green-Tolex covered head. I tried to remember the number but it's been a few years ago now, and I didn't write it down.

I do remember the combo having nearly the same number becuase I've looked them up a few times and found one in the same green tolex.

Anyhoo, if that's the combo version of the head I played through, you better grab it before I do [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
            I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
              What kind of music do you play really?

[/ QUOTE ]
              I play a bit of everything, but 'really' I play hard rock (AC/DC-esque) and heavy rock/metal (from Ozzy to Metallica to BLS, Pantera, Meshuggah, a bit of it all)

So I guess mostly harder, heavier side of rock.

[ QUOTE ]
              Honestly, pick yourself up a used ADA MP-1 and a good power amp and a 2x12 cabinet and you will be happy! Well unless you want a combo.

[/ QUOTE ]

You know, i was thinking of going this route, you're tlaking about the amps and such that you put on a rack? I've always wondered how they work, how they sound compared to more 'traditional' amps. I don't know why, it's hard to explain in words, but I had a Marshall dsl401, that I regretably sold for a bigger solid-state amp, and there was something about the Marshall that sounded different, but better, to me. i don't know if it was the tube amp construction or circuitry or what, I'm not too savvy with amps, but it just sounded so much better than the solid state amp, and was as loud as it, even though the solid state was 75 watts to the Marshall's 40.

[ QUOTE ]

Anyhoo, if that's the combo version of the head I played through, you better grab it before I do [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah i was about to say, it says 'artist' series, always thought the 2203 head was the jcm800 head everyone wants (I guess jcm800 is a different series than artist series?).

Comment

I ain't too good with numbers these days [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Rackmount preamps are basically just the preamp circuit of a head crammed into a rack casing. The ADA MP-1 gets a great glassy tube sound, but since it has a relatively limited EQ (for me) and almost no effects (Chorus only) I prefer to use an external FX unit like the Digitech TSR12 for shaping the tone with the EQ as well as a larger selection of effects 9Chorus, Flanger, Phaser, Delays, Reverbs, Pitch stuff, etc etc).

But an MP-1 straight into a tube power amp into a 2x12 cabinet is a thing of beauty too [img]/images/graemlins/drool2.gif[/img]

Comment

So I could get a Marshall tone, and it seems they're programable for other tones too?

Cool...

How's this one?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ADA-MP-1-WITH-3-TUBE...1QQcmdZViewItem

Hmm, might not be a bad route to go.

Comment

Definitely a wide range of tones, even with the fairly limited 3-band+presence EQ section.

Comment

hmmm...

Comment

200 bucks for one of those, plus about the same for a power-amp? and then a 2x12... we're talking what, 600-700 total? Not too bad.

Comment

Carvin's VE212 cabinet is absolutely killer with an MP-1.

Comment

Thanks Newc, any power-amp recomendations?

Comment

ThorK,

Not sure where in MD you are, but when i get my Randall power amp back from repair (dont ask) you are welcome to come play around with my ADA MP-1.

OK maybe i shouldnt have said dont ask on the power amp, basicaly i purchased one of ebay came in broken, but the guy is doing the right thing and paid to get it shipped to randall and back to me, just not sure how long it will take to get back to me.

Comment

Working...
                              X