May be the right amp?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: May be the right amp?

Oh, it looks like Carvin might not make that ve212 any more, judging by their website.

ebay's showing no EXACT results, could this be one?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Carvin-2x12-Extensio...1QQcmdZViewItem

Or is it still made, just under a new name?

Thanks!

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
      ThorK,

Not sure where in MD you are, but when i get my Randall power amp back from repair (dont ask) you are welcome to come play around with my ADA MP-1.

OK maybe i shouldnt have said dont ask on the power amp, basicaly i purchased one of ebay came in broken, but the guy is doing the right thing and paid to get it shipped to randall and back to me, just not sure how long it will take to get back to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Cool man, thanks for the offer, I'm right outside of annapolis.

It looks like that preamp is tube-driven or something? Would that make a difference with a solid state (and I'm assuming, less expensive) power amp?

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
        [ QUOTE ]
        ThorK,

Not sure where in MD you are, but when i get my Randall power amp back from repair (dont ask) you are welcome to come play around with my ADA MP-1.

OK maybe i shouldnt have said dont ask on the power amp, basicaly i purchased one of ebay came in broken, but the guy is doing the right thing and paid to get it shipped to randall and back to me, just not sure how long it will take to get back to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Cool man, thanks for the offer, I'm right outside of annapolis.

It looks like that preamp is tube-driven or something? Would that make a difference with a solid state (and I'm assuming, less expensive) power amp?

[/ QUOTE ]

It is tube preamp, how much distortion is coming from the tubes is a good guess, but i thought all of it did but i could be wrong. I would personaly still go tube on the power amp, trust me you will end up getting tube later down the road anyway. There are alot of good cheap tube amps out there, like the older ADA amps, but they dont come up that much, but also the Peavey power amps are pretty cheap but good amps.

And ok i am in alexandria, so you are not to far. Anyone is always welcome to play around with equiptment i have if they want to get the feel for a certain amp, since i have a few different kinds.

Comment

Cool, so definitely think the ADA mp1 can pull off the sound I'm looking for?

I'm willing to get this gear, if you guys have tried it and recommend it, I have complete trust in your opinions, no better message boards on the net than JCF! [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Man, this rack mountable equipment never even crossed my mind. I've always read that several of my favorite guitarists/bands use this stuff, and that the amps on stage are often dummy amps.

Anyways, I appreciate all the input guys, thanks again.

Comment

rack stuff is great if you need alot of different sounds. Most bands in the 80's were all using the ADA preamps in there racks. The ada is basicaly a hot rodded marshall sound and it will get you close enough that even most normal people would have no clue, if you want the pure marshall tone spend the extra 300 and get the JMP-1 preamp. I own both preamps and love them both for different reasons.

Comment

Cool, I find this whole thing very interesting.

If it sounds the same, might as well go for it, right?

Any reason not to go with it? [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                Cool, I find this whole thing very interesting.

If it sounds the same, might as well go for it, right?

Any reason not to go with it? [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I wouldnt see a reason not too, now take it i have never toured with a rack system, i only got into racks after my touring days, but i know many many groups in the 80's used racks alot

Comment

Nice.

So this preamp, just making sure, can also pull off really heavily distorted metal sounds too, or is it more just suited for the classic/hard rock sound?

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                    Nice.

So this preamp, just making sure, can also pull off really heavily distorted metal sounds too, or is it more just suited for the classic/hard rock sound?

[/ QUOTE ]

IT can do metal up to a certain point, you are not gonna get the oh my god botten end metal, but you can get a heavy metal out of it.

Comment

You might be able to do more with it using a pedal in front to push it more, and some type of parametric eq to add some low end. Plus there's always the mesa mods and the other mp-1 mod's floating around, etc.

Comment

Working...
                      X