Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

POD XT live.. what am I getting myself into?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: POD XT live.. what am I getting myself into?

[ QUOTE ]
    Ifraan- if you read this, what where your settings on the powerblock when you used this rig? I am assuming you just plugged it into the back of the PB and that was pretty much it right?

[/ QUOTE ]
    Yes, if you plug it into the back of the PB, the controls won't work on it, it'll just be strictly a power amp... you'll have to rely on the XTL for volume and other preamp tweaks.
    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

ya, the front of the powerblock is pretty worthless. It works pretty well as a poweramp. I guess now that I think about it, I am somewhat concered that the xt will not be loud enough since it is not really receiving anything from the Powerblock. Could this be a concern in a rehersal setting where my amp needs to be loud and needs to cut through in the mix... [img]/images/graemlins/help.gif[/img]
      Light intervened, annihliating darkness.
      The path of salvation made clear for the prodigal human race

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
        [ QUOTE ]
        Ifraan- if you read this, what where your settings on the powerblock when you used this rig? I am assuming you just plugged it into the back of the PB and that was pretty much it right?

[/ QUOTE ]
        Yes, if you plug it into the back of the PB, the controls won't work on it, it'll just be strictly a power amp... you'll have to rely on the XTL for volume and other preamp tweaks.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yup, that's exactly what I did. To me, that's pretty much the only good thing about that powerblock, and honeslty 90% of people that use it buy it for that feature, to be used strictly as a cheaper poweramp

Comment

Yeah, it's great as a poweramp. It actually sounds very nice by itself, plugging your guitar straight into it, but it doesn't get real high gain, which kinda puts people off. It's cool if you use an OD pedal into it for more gain, but it excels at doing the poweramp thing very well and what most people seem to use it for.
          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Zack,

The first thing you need to do is download Line6 Edit or Guitarport. That way you can deep edit. Next, I will send you a file with some killer settings that Pete cooked up.

PM me for the file after you get Line6 Edit or Guitarport loaded (and working) on your computer.

Are you planning on using your XTL thru the PA or thru an amp?

Comment

fritz- I will be running it into a crate powerblock, then into a 2x12 cab.

What exactly is deep editing anyways?

Comment

My PodXT has been the best guitar gear purchase I've ever made. Especially with the model packs, this thing is amazing. A bedroom players dream. [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]
                -Janne

Comment

how does it work as just an effects unit? I could care less about the amp sims and speaker emulators (I have the real ones) but it would be cool to use it as an effects unit and also have the flexibility to use it as a modeller if I want to record at 2am and not have the cops show up [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
                  shawnlutz.com

Comment

Shawn, Pete uses his as an effect processor with his JSX. Maybe he'll chime in.

I use my XTL with my Powerblock for rehearsals. The Powerblock is set to mono, and I plug it into my Recto 2x12. It's plenty loud enough.

Speaking of Powerblocks, here's another cool thing you can do with it... use it as a second amp with your main rig for cleans! Get an A/B box and your all set. The clean on the Powerblock is excellent IMO. This is the ideal setup if your amp channel switching lags (my Recto does).

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                      how does it work as just an effects unit? I could care less about the amp sims and speaker emulators (I have the real ones) but it would be cool to use it as an effects unit and also have the flexibility to use it as a modeller if I want to record at 2am and not have the cops show up [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

You can turn off the speaker and amp emulations and use it for effects only. Sounded ok but a little swishy through my dual recto rackmount, sounds stellar through my JSX. I guess it depends on the quality of the fx loop. From what I can remember, my 50/CL had a great loop, so you should be ok with it for sure. One really nice feature is that you can turn the amp sims/speaker sims off IN THE PATCH, it's not global. So I have #21A-22D as just fx only, and I write my patches with amp emulations for recording/etc everywhere else. The wah is useless when used for effects though. You can setup a stomp box for a lead volume boost, however.

Thing I like about using the xt live for effects is that if my tube amp goes down, we can take a 5 minute break, (or a drum solo) use the amp/speaker emulations through the PA and the gig goes on. I hate taking an extra amp head to gigs, it's a much better solution in my opinion, at least until I can afford roadies and exact duplicate amps! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Pete

Comment

Just as a quick FYI, I've got 3 Crate Powerblock heads in stock right now. Get in touch with me for the JCF discounted price!

Now back to our regular programming. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Matt

Matt's Music Center
                        35 Pleasant St
                        Weymouth MA 02190 USA
                        781-335-0700
                        www.mattsmusic.com
                        Special deals for JCF members on Jackson/Charvel, Suhr, Anderson, Nash, Splawn, Bogner, LSL, Ibanez, Diezel, Friedman, Bad Cat, 3rd Power, Dr. Z, ENGL and more. FREE SHIPPING! 0% FINANCING!

Comment

any other thoughts/comments?

BTW, thanks again Matt!

Comment

I wouldn't even think about buying a power amp for it yet, until you fiddle with it. I know this thing pisses me off so bad.

I think the problem is, with my boogies, I just turn some knobs, and it's great. With this, it's like, it wants me to do stuff.

Comment

also, would the type of cable I am using matter? I will be connecting to a powerblock via two little 5 inch livewire cables that are meant to connect pedals and stuff together....

Comment

well good luck getting the head on top of the cab with only 5 inch cables.
                                Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

Working...
                                X