Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anybody have or ever play thru a Kitty Hawk Amp?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anybody have or ever play thru a Kitty Hawk Amp?

I haven't fired up my Kitty Hawk Quattro in a while but after messing around with my newer pres, I plugged into it and really dug it again (as I always do when I run it thru a tube amp). Here's a quick and sloppy clip that I made at midnight [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img] while my wife was picking up her family at the airport [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Kitty Hawk Quattro

Signal path was Ibanez J. Custom RG8570M, Kitty Hawk Quattro, THD Flexi-50 (for power amp via the effects loop), & Mesa 3/4 Back 2X12 cab.

I didn't adjust the settings. They were set for a different cab but, it sounded REAL smooth so I just left them. Anybody else have or had one? Anybody have one of the heads?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFn-5BTQ8uU

Re: Anybody have or ever play thru a Kitty Hawk Amp?

i had a kitty hawk M1 back in the mid 90's. it was pretty cool. sounded a bit like a boogie. it was great until i took it on the road. it wasn't that durable. i ended up trading for a boogie MK1 head. sometimes i miss it because i like "off" brand stuff.
    GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

Realy TUBEY sound there Ivan,that Kitty sounded amazing.Your playing was pro sounding all the way too.Loved your dynamic slippery phrases laced with off the cuff Blues licks and modern lines(that slow malmseen phrase near the mid was cool too)shouldnt the flexi sound just like that with out the Kitty?once again killer tone and playing mate

Comment

I've never played a Kitty Hawk amp but I'm pretty sure I've been to Kitty Hawk before.

Comment

Re: Anybody have or ever play thru a Kitty Hawk Am

I had a Quatro for a short while but got rid of it for an ADA. Its been a long time but I remember that I liked it alot and was a bit bummed that I got rid of it. I've never seen another since then.

Comment

I had a quattro for awhile - developed an intermittent issue with one of the channels, and techs would just scratch their heads, so I sold it as is. Four channels in one rackspace was pretty cool, and it sounded good. Paid a whopping $75 for it back in the mid 90s. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Pete

Comment

I had a couple of M1 heads and a Testarossa preamp. The pots they used in the heads were junk, but the amp sounded pretty good, like a Boogie without the nasal mids. They had a el34/6L6 switch in a stupid location, if you accidentally bumped it your power tubes were a goner. I hard wired mine.

I loved the Testarossa preamp, never should have sold it, not really sure why I did. Haven't seen another one.

Comment

I have heard a lot of great things about them but yes the pots in them were junk and they were not durable for any type of road use. took very little to damage one.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                  Realy TUBEY sound there Ivan,that Kitty sounded amazing.Your playing was pro sounding all the way too.Loved your dynamic slippery phrases laced with off the cuff Blues licks and modern lines(that slow malmseen phrase near the mid was cool too)shouldnt the flexi sound just like that with out the Kitty?once again killer tone and playing mate

[/ QUOTE ]

THANK YOU VERY MUCH for your (too) kind words Justin. The Flexi can sound similar but with the level of gain you hear in the clip you will get lots of sag and power tube compression unless you are pushing it with a pedal in front or have a big open place to play to be able to switch off the master volume... that would actually be louder than these levels: [img]/images/graemlins/band.gif[/img]
                  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFn-5BTQ8uU

Comment

I have a M5 Combo it's ok pots are junk. It has 4 6V6s in it so its like a super Deluxe Reverb. Come to think of it I could never get the reverb to work?

Comment

Working...
                    X