Ohm Setting??????????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ohm Setting??????????

Hi guys. I have a Peavey Ultra 60 watt 1x12 combo with a 16 Ohm Celestion G12T-75 speaker. I usually run the map thru my Madison 4x12 cabinet which is 8 Ohm. I was curious as to what it would sound like running it with both the 4x12 and the single in the amp. Well being mismatched Ohm outputs, I left it at 8 Ohm like the cab. Well, the sound is Godly!! Great bass from the cab and serious highs from the single speaker in the amp. Here is my dilema .What should I set the Ohms at on the amp? I don`t want to mees it up. Thanks-Jack.

Re: Ohm Setting??????????

Set the amp to which ever cabinet you want to use and only use that one. A tube amp will be put under a lot of stress of the impedance(ohms) aren't matched up. If it's solid state, fuggit.

Comment

If it has room for 2 cabs, I would suggest you get a small, open-backed cab equpped with G12T-75s to go with your 4x12.

It will give you the same sound, (I think) and it will be much safer for your amp!

Comment

Agreed gents. The Ultra is an All Tube amp. I will probably look for a Marshall 2x12 with the older British G12T-75 speakers, I won`t buy the Import ones. Thanks-Jack.

Comment

Since you've probably got them in parallel their impedence is like 5.3 Ohms. If your amp has a 4 ohm setting you would be safer using that if I understand the impedence selectors correctly

Comment

Ya man, my amp has a 4-8-18 setting and not sure if they are in Parallel or not. They are both plugged into the back of the amp as it has 2 spots for speaker cabs. Thanks-Jack.

Comment

Working...
            X