Laney Pro Tube heads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Laney Pro Tube heads

Hey guys, i know of somewhere that i can get one dirt cheap (not sure which model it is though). I remember there was a topic on this head a while ago, but i couldn't find it in any search i did. What are your opinions on these heads? do you own one?
    Thanks
    93 USA Soloist EDS
    USA HT6 Juggernaut
    Charvel DK24FR

Re: Laney Pro Tube heads

I have one, I have the 100w version with 4 x EL34s.

I think its a hell of an amp. I used to have a Peavey JSX before I bought my Laney. . .and. . .well. . .I ended up selling the JSX.

Its got an incredibly clear tone, LOADS of gain and sustain, but it doesnt really

To my ears, its the most natural sounding amp ive ever come across. Does a great vintage Judas Priest tone! Ratt, Paul Gilbert. . .all pretty easy to get. Its TOTALLY got that old Marshall thing going on, but with a bit more bass and nicer highs.

With a delay you can even milk a Steve Vai tone! Actually, it has a pretty nice "Eat Em and Smile" tone.

Comment

Sounds pretty cool, do you have any clips of it?

Do you think it would work well for a thrash/death metal sound?

i don't mean a Rectifier turned to 10 with a boost etc etc, because that's not the sound i go for. I like to hear every note i play but for the sound to have balls to it.
      93 USA Soloist EDS
      USA HT6 Juggernaut
      Charvel DK24FR

Comment

I have a video from a concert I did. Not really a video, more along the lines of a clip, but yeah.

It doesnt have that super saturated modern gain, its like what an old Plexi would sound like with an extra preamp gain stage or two. It has the same "touch sensitivity" that the old marshalls had, and its not even point-to-point wired!

If your looking for that old school overdriven EL34 tones, Its excellent for that. If you've got the chops, thats good, because this thing will leave you naked in the cold wind if you dont, but if you dont need a ton of cheese gain to cover your tracks, then procede.

Just think old Judas Priest, Scorpions, that kinda crunch. Its got balls, dont worry about that [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Vintage Balls, but still. . .balls.

Whats your email? I'll load it up to a yousendit and give you the link.

Comment

I see, that's not bad. I could always put in an SD-1 in front of it for a bit more saturation. Here's my email: [email protected]
          93 USA Soloist EDS
          USA HT6 Juggernaut
          Charvel DK24FR

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
            I see, that's not bad. I could always put in an SD-1 in front of it for a bit more saturation. Here's my email: [email protected]

[/ QUOTE ]

You sure could, but I think you may find, its not necessary. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Ok, its done uploading, Im gonna send it now.

EDIT: Ok, Im listening to my David Lee Roth: Skyscraper LP (Steve Vai on guitars, 1987, the year I was born! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] ) and Steve has an INCREDIBLY close tone to what Ive got here on the Laney.

Too bad the crazy chops dont come with it. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

If you have that CD, or want to check it out, thats what it sounds very much like.

Comment

I have the 50 watt head and a 50 watt combo (sealed back 1x12). The head is running great, but I need to work on the combo. I stuck a G12M Greenback in there - totally the wrong speaker for this amp. I wish it had the original Fane.

Comment

Thanks very much for sending that. It's given me a faint idea of what it can do. I'll have a listen to skyscraper in a second. Btw, the bass player cracks me up [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                93 USA Soloist EDS
                USA HT6 Juggernaut
                Charvel DK24FR

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                  I have the 50 watt head and a 50 watt combo (sealed back 1x12). The head is running great, but I need to work on the combo. I stuck a G12M Greenback in there - totally the wrong speaker for this amp. I wish it had the original Fane.

[/ QUOTE ]

REALLY? I was gonna get a cab sometime with greenbacks in it.

What do you normally use with your head?

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                    Thanks very much for sending that. It's given me a faint idea of what it can do. I'll have a listen to skyscraper in a second. Btw, the bass player cracks me up [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, well, its not the best sound recording. That room has pretty decent acoustics, but alot of low end was lost because its just a camcorder microphone, and it was placed in the back.

What's so funny about the bassist? [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                    X