Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

That little Crate Mono-bloc power amp review?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• That little Crate Mono-bloc power amp review?

Its been a while since these came out. So... what do you owners think? I am thinking about picking one up to power my GT-6 for noodling at home.

Re: That little Crate Mono-bloc power amp review?

You mean the little bitty brick? I think it is stereo, sir... or did they do another?

Keith
    The JCF-er Formerly Known as axtogrind.

myspace.com/boogieblockmusic

Comment

Hey Keith.. yea that little Crate Stereo power amp thingy that comes in its little cute gig bag. Thats the one.

Comment

It's a Power Block, they are stereo... one output for 8-ohm mono (keep the bridge mono button pushed in), or keep the bridge button out to use the other two outputs (right/left) for 4-ohm stereo. I've got one, love it! It gets very loud!!! [img]/images/graemlins/eek.gif[/img] The clean sound is awesome, the distorted sound is very good as well, just not real high gain, takes to an OD pedal well for doing high gain metal. Most people do, however, use these as power amps into the line in/effects loop jacks (which are also stereo, BTW).
        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Just set mine up down in the basment yesterday. At the moment, I'm running my THD Univalve head into the compact Crate 4x12, line out of the Uni into the Power Block, the stereo speaker outputs into the two vertical Jackson 2x12s. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

Joe, I want to use it to power my GT-6 with a mono 2 x 12 cab just for home noodling and the occasional casual jam session. It sounds like something I want to check out.

Comment

Yeah, it'll definitely work. I've not tried mine with my GT-8 yet, but I'm sure it will work just fine. My GT-8 is in my living room at the moment, running into a Carvin DCM150 power amp and 1x12 cab.

Comment

I've heard lots of positive things about them, and even that some folks have found non-guitar uses for them, too. And supposed to be built like tanks.

And they are just so damn CUTE. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                The JCF-er Formerly Known as axtogrind.

myspace.com/boogieblockmusic

Comment

They are cute! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] Look how small it is compared to my Univalve. And the Uni is a pretty small head, too.

Comment

I'm selling my Bogner/Splawn/VHT/Marshall/Boogie amps and using the Crate radio into 5 4x12's...it slays like nothing else [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
                    shawnlutz.com

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                      I'm selling my Bogner/Splawn/VHT/Marshall/Boogie amps and using the Crate radio into 5 4x12's...it slays like nothing else [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Shawn.. maybe I should dump my Soldano rack system and go with this little Crate cutie?? I could practically transport my live rig on my bicycle.

Comment

[img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

If you are into using modelers, I definitely recommend picking one up. It is a perfect clean power source for that application. I use it at rehearsals, it is plenty loud and sounds great (you'll have to tweak your patches of course). I leave my cabinet at the rehearsal space, and all I have to carry is my guitar, my PODXT, and the powerblock. It could also be used as a clean channel through an A/B box if your main amp is lacking in that department. I can attest to its durability as well. It has fallen out of my truck onto the pavement at least 5 times (in its protective bag of course), and still works fine. My truck is pretty high too (S10 ZR2). [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

It can even be used as a PA! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

For $199, how can you go wrong?

Comment

Yeah, it's really a great little amp for pretty much any application. I got mine for $150 off ebay.

Comment

Working...
                            X