V3 arrived - first impressions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• V3 arrived - first impressions

well, my V3 arrived today (obvioulsy by the title of the post), and i must say that my first impression is NOT favorable. i mean, it's a decent amp...it looks cool, sounds better than most things out there in a comparable price range...but after spending a couple of hours fooling with it, i have to say i am NOT impressed.

yes, it has a lot of gain. think XXX amounts of gain. it makes my hot mod loaded soldano astroverb seem like an old plexi marshall. i could get it to do the generic scooped mid death tone with NO problem. with the EQX turned on and the gain toggle set to "intense" it gave me obscene amounts of mosquito-tone with an ample amount of low end woofing. the master EQ section is useable - and quite frankly this is the part i was scared of - and can help sculpt the overall tone quite effectively.

the clean channel out and out sucks. it is dull and lifeless. it sounds VERY solid state, and not in that good, clean loud solid state way either. we are talking generic AM radio quality solid state. think back to those old, silver AM radios that said "solid state" on them and that's what i am talking about. on the clean channel ALL the EQX switch does is make a bad sound get worse.

so far it's like a solid state amp that feels like a tube amp.

to be fair, this is only my intial impression. i will give it some more time.

i used it with two rivera C112 cabs loaded with EVM speakers. i know the amp was voiced around celestion 75's, but i use the EVM's for EVERYTHING and know those speakers very well.

the guitar was my euphoria PC-1 with a dimarziop PAF pro in the bridge.

i'll update you all with more "feedback" as i tweak the amp a little more.
    GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Re: V3 arrived - first impressions

well, the V3 is going back. i moved it to my studio to play with some other cabs, and it blew up. it got a bad cabbage stink smell and caused the speakers in the cab to start pulsing and vibrating. i called carvin and they said send it back. they will send me a new one. maybe that one will rock.
    GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

Comment

[img]/images/graemlins/eek.gif[/img] Damn, that sucks! Hope the new one doesn't have any problems.
      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I'll look forward to reading your review of the next V3 you get. Hopefully it won't smell like cabbage.
        Takeoffs are optional but landings are mandatory.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
          well, the V3 is going back. i moved it to my studio to play with some other cabs, and it blew up. it got a bad cabbage stink smell and caused the speakers in the cab to start pulsing and vibrating. i called carvin and they said send it back. they will send me a new one. maybe that one will rock.

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

I'm sorry to laugh but to blow up on the second use lends me to believe the Carvin quaility smells of cabbage [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]
          shawnlutz.com

Comment

Ouch! That doesn't bode well for the V3. The only upside I can see is that the reason it didn't sound so great to begin with is that something was wrong. Hope the next one sounds good and holds together.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
              [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

I'm sorry to laugh but to blow up on the second use lends me to believe the Carvin quaility smells of cabbage [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

oh, i am not offended by the laughter. i feel the same way. i am use to rivera's killer quality and build. i wasn't expecting too much from the carvin - well, maybe to last more than a day, but i won't be holding my breath. chances are it will go back anyway.

i REALLY hope the next one is decent. i mean, it would be cool to have that amp in the arsenal.

hopefully this one was just a turd and the next will be stronger.
              GEAR:

and finally....

Comment

I've got a buddy who swears by an MTS. He says his biggest complaint with Carvin is how cold they bias them, and that a hot set of power tubes brought it alive.

I'm in no way suggesting that you buy a set of power tubes. I don't think they'll do anything for the cleans, and it definately sounds like a case of a solid state clipping in the gain circuit.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                  I've got a buddy who swears by an MTS. He says his biggest complaint with Carvin is how cold they bias them, and that a hot set of power tubes brought it alive.

I'm in no way suggesting that you buy a set of power tubes. I don't think they'll do anything for the cleans, and it definately sounds like a case of a solid state clipping in the gain circuit.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sure it will make a difference with the cleans, or should, unless Carvin has some weird setup where the clean channel bypasses the power tubes. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Pete

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                    Sure it will make a difference with the cleans, or should, unless Carvin has some weird setup where the clean channel bypasses the power tubes.

[/ QUOTE ]

I dunno, what if it is like the XXX and leaves the preamp tubes completely out of the circuit? I tried several different kinds of power tubes on my XXX before I decided I'd never get a good clean tone out of it.

Comment

I didn't say it would make it better, just a difference. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Most of your tonal differences are going to come from the preamp tubes, but the power tubes can have quite an impact too. Hopefully he just got a crappy early version and they can get him a good one.

Early legacies were pretty trouble prone too. I think Carvin may rush amps out to meet deadlines.

Pete

Comment

Man that sucks. I have high hopes for the V3. Sucks it blew up too! I really like my Legacy. I even like it better than my Marshall 2205. I have had the Legacy now for at least 5 years without a problem.

Comment

Maybe you got a dud. Carvin is noted for releasing amps too early before the kinks are all worked out. That is why many diehard Carvin fanatics wait until a new amp has been out for a while before we bite on one. Send it back and get another one. Let us know what happens. I am interested.

Comment

They also ship the V3 out with shitty cold biased EH power tubes. Many have had to replace their tubes. Also, it can take 6L6`s, that may help your cleans. I am waiting about 1 year or so to try this amp out. Jack.

Comment

I have never owned a Carvin product and only ever played through one of their amps back in '85 (whatever their 100 watt head was back then) so I don't know much about them personally. At one point I was considering a Legacy when I got into a conversation with a local amp tech. He told me that of all the amps that he sees for repair that Carvin made some of the worst quality ones he had ever seen, including the Legacy. He was an independent with no alterior motive to sell me a different amp.
                              Anyone else ever hear a similar story?

Comment

Working...
                              X