ENGL head settings....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ENGL head settings....

I know the PB, SE, Savage etc..heads are all different, but I just picked up a new Engl V30 cab for my Fireball and was wondering what settings you guys might be dialed in at so I can tweak around. I just dialed in 12OC gain, low 2OC, mid 1OC,high 2OC, Pres 12OC with bright, depth, and ultra all on....

- Joel
    RIP Donny Swanstrom...JCF bro
    RIP Dime

Re: ENGL head settings....

I start with everything at noon, and adjust from there with the PB.
    ...that the play is the tragedy, "Man"

Comment

I keep my gain at 10 o clock...everything after that becomes really compressed and mushy.

Comment

I always kept the gain more around 10OC as well with my fireball (until I swapped a 5751 in place of the P1 12AX7, which worked really well for making more of the sweep of the gain knob usable)

Comment

Yabba...please tell me more about the preamp tube swap??? What change did that do for you...what kind of change were you looking for? What kind of music do you play?
          RIP Donny Swanstrom...JCF bro
          RIP Dime

Comment

mmh...lets see....on my old blackmore head i usually kept the presence totally off, the highs around 11:00, gain around 01:00, bass around 3:00, mids between 10:00 and 14:00, largely depending on the venue. contour was either off or on, also depending on the venue, mostly off. volume was around 10:30 on the master and 01:00 on the channel volume.

Comment

I play lots of different flavors of rock/metal, but the fireball tended to mostly get used for the tight death metally kind of stuff (it really did that sort of thing well); I tried out the 5751s because I rarely used the gain above noon and was hoping to be able to get some more usable positions on the gain knob (was trying to get it to do some lower gain middle-ground crunch stuff, never really got a tone for that sort of thing that I liked) I looked back and I actually used them in both the v1 and v2 positions (the first 2 preamp tube positions); I used GE JAN 5751s, they're a lower gain military tube that's a direct swap for a 12AX7.

Basically it lowered the gain/added clarity across the board, so that to get the same amount of gain that I originally got with the gain knob at noon, now I set it to 2OC or so. I thought it worked pretty well, basically just making the amp a bit more flexible, gain-wise. Give it a shot if you never really use the upper end of the gain knob!

I've heard of people putting lower gain tubes into v2 and v3 and leaving v1 stock as well, for another experiment to try (I never tried it)

Comment

Working...
              X