Help me decide

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help me decide

I really wanted a Soldano Decatone, but I have been looking at the Randall RM100. I have never been a Randall fan but this amp is interesting. I am open to other suggestions. I am a child of the 80’s but don’t want an amp that has to be cracked all the way up to sound good. I like my mids not a scooped out amp.

Amps I have:
    Lee Jackson XLA-500 – currently using, not enough gain for me.
    Marshall 1972 MK2 – no effects loop
    Carvin X-100B – I bought new back in the 80’s, never really liked it. I haven’t used it in years.
    Just one more guitar!

Re: Help me decide

I get some nice 80's tones out of my 5150, and they are cheap enough too.

Have you ever tried a boost through the Lee Jackson or Carvin? A TS-9 or an SD-1 might be the missing link for those amps.

Comment

I was gonna suggest trying a TS-9 on the Carvin. I've been looking for an old, script logo 6L6 X100B myself, but now that ive got the cash, they dissappear from ebay!

What kind of sound are you going for? (like, if there is a band/guitarist with a great tone thats similar to what your looking for) that would help alot in trying to pick out a good amp for you.

Comment

The Randall MTS line is great. It's one of those things not a lotta dealers are carrying, which is a shame, but it's a great amp. I screw around with them 6 days a week at work and they can do just about any music. With the 80's stuff, you might wanna check out the Plexi, Brown, SL+, and even maybe the Top Boost modules. I did a review of 2 of the high gain modules here:

http://www.jcfonline.com/ubbthreads/...&page=5#599216

I've played with pretty much every module and they actually sound like the amp they are emulating. We are actually doing well with that amp, it's our main seller. People like it when they come in, so I suggest goin and and trying one out if you can. A smaller shop instead of the chain stores should have more modules in stock and they might take the time to go through a few of em with ya instead of just letting ya play around with the stock ones. PM me if you have any more questions on it, I'll be glad to go more in depth if you want.

- Irfaan -

Comment

Kirk is using a Randall MTS head in the studio currently, just as a bit of side-info.
          You took too much, man. Too much. Too much.

Comment

A band mate of mine (Jazzman) had a Deccatone for about 2 or 3 years. I have played a little bit with the Randalls. I would buy the Randall over the Deccatone with out hesitation.

Comment

Thanks for all the info. There is no local Randall dealer near by, but I have been listening the samples on the website. There are also a couple of vidoes on the Randall website. The video on the back panel on the amp is pretty impressive. If you haven't seen that yet here is the link. http://www.randallamplifiers.com/pro...TSback_web.wmv
              You might have to paste the link in your media player.
              Just one more guitar!

Comment

Working...
              X