Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marshall , Mesa Boogie or Laney cabs.

Hello all

I have a question i am going to buy 2 cabinets for my Marshall JCM2000 DSL 100 , but i dont know what are the best i have tried Marshall cabinets , with only 1 cabinet it wasnt the gratest thing but with 2 i liked it. But i dont have clue about other cabinets or is there a big difference using different cabs, *will it change the sound a lot*

I play mostly Hard rock and metal(by metal i dont mean black sabbath but more metallica like stuff), sometimes fusin.
    I though of marshall 1960 and 1960a cabs.

Any advice would be great

Thanks for reading

Re: Marshall , Mesa Boogie or Laney cabs.

Ok,for my experience:

Laney cabs: good quality building but bad speakers and small size.

Marshall cabs: newer ones have quality building issues,speakers are celestions though.

Mesa cabs: kick ass cabs. Best of both worlds.

Comment

Finally I can give some firsthand advice, my friend, with whom I jam, has a DSL 100 and runs it through a Mesa cab, it sounds pretty damn awesome (and I don't like the JCM 2000's at all).

I play the same kind of music as you btw.
      You took too much, man. Too much. Too much.

Comment

Mesa. The only downside about them is that they're really fookin heavy.

Comment

+1 for Mesa. I have three of them (Traditional 4x12, Recto oversize 2x12, and a 3/4 back 1/2), and they all sound great. The downside? They are all heavy and pretty expensive. But, you get what you pay for.

I can't help ya with your other contenders.

Comment

I've A/B'd my old Boogie against a few Recto cabs, Bogner, Ampeg, Avatar, THD, and a few Marshalls. Maybe its my ear, but none of them sounded as good. The Bogner and a mid 80's Marshall (800?) tied for a very close second. For reference, my sound is more hard rock and some metal as opposed to grindcore, etc.

Speakers are well broken in MC-90's (top) and VS-12's
            -Jon G

Comment

I have two Marshall JCM900 4x12 cabs. I wouldn't trade them for any other cab. I've owned quite a few boogie cabs. Tone is subjective, and also depends on what amp you're using to drive it.

I use a triple rectifier, and was using a JCM800 2210. I am currently with the triple recto (I think nothing will pry it from my dead hands) and a 1983 Mesa Mark 2C Simul class.

For me, the JCM800 sounded really good in the Mesa cabs I've owned, however I always found, I went back to the Marshall cabs, because the sound just cuts better for me.

With the Triple recto, or any Mesa recto I've owned, playing them through a Mesa cab just kills it, imho. I honestly prefer the Marshall cab, with the Recto. Something about how it cuts through the mix is un fucking real.

Your mileage may vary, but for what it's worth, imho, some people get into cab/head brand matching. I used to be one of those snobs. When I got my recto, I bought a recto cab. Hated it. Bought a traditional and an oversized in the span of a month...hated them both, when I used my Marshalls, I fell in love again.

Both Mesa 4x12s were sold, and I tried the half/3/4 back shit, nothing helped. The Mesa cabs just didn't cut.

The ONE THING I wish I WOULD have tried, would have been a speaker swap. The Marshalls use a G1275T, whereas the boogie cabs do not. I wish I would have swapped the speakers, into the boogie cab, to see if I would like it. I've tried both greenbacks, v30s the whole deal, in my Marshall cabs, and always go back to the G12s, so for me, it may be the G12s and not the cabs, but for now, it's the cabs.

I basically play any style of music.

Comment

Thank you guys

Comment

BTW i dont like jcm 2000' s sound too , but in my conditions here in estonia you buy what you can not when you want .lol Havent even tried other heads like laney , mesa, bogner, peavy . What i hate is it\s high end(high pitched sound) . I had to turn myt treble to 0 and middle to 3.5 to get the warm sound i like, i have been told that peavys , sound like marshall treble on 0 . And then i dont like that it\s drive is so oldschool like, not that i would like to sound like some new metal band but i would prefer dream theatre\s or metallicas drive .

Comment

I personally think Mesa cabinets are a bit too dark in the room, but they do sound amazing recorded.

That said, Marshall style cabinets with an X pattern of V30's and G12T75's own my world.

Comment

I am sorry but could you please explain waht is x pattern pf v30 and g12t75 [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]_

Comment

like this:

_____
                        |a b|
                        |b a|
                        -----

where a is a v30 and b is a g12t75, or vice versa

I have an orange cab with v30s and g12h30s set up like that and love it!

Comment

kle JC, sa võid mulle siin sõnumi saata, ehk oskan aidata, räägi täpselt ära mis sul vaja on.
                          "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

Said s]numi k'tte?

Comment

jep [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
                              "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

Working...
                              X